• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Attaching rear of seat to seat slides...?

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Hi all,

As I have posted (https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf...hesive-for-open-cell-foam-seat-rebuild-(TR4A) and https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/showthread.php?108012-Seats-left-right and https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/showthread.php?108012-Seats-left-right), I am rebuilding my TR4A seats. So far, so good - thanks to the article by Alan Turner and many other posts here at BCF.

I am looking at how the seats connect to the seat rails. I have bought new rails from TRF, as the bottoms of the old ones were rusted beyond salvage.

Three questions:
1. The front of the seat has two holes. Through which is the seat mounted?
2. The rear of the seat has a "clip" to connect it to the seat rail, p/n 613303. This part seems to be NLA, and was missing from my seats when I disassembled. How important is this piece? I would imagine when sitting in the seat, with a belt, the seat belt would provide the main force holding the seat in place.
3. I have the TRF seat buffer kit. How is this installed? It includes six washers, a bolt, a nut and the rubber buffer. Washers are a small lockwasher, two "normal" 10-32 washers, and three large diameter washers. What I did was put the lockwasher on the bolt, put this through the buffer, put three large washers under the buffer, and thread this into the threaded hole on the seat bottom. The "normal" washers do not fit inside the buffer, thus only used the lockwasher. On three of the four buffers, the bolt protruded far enough into the seat that I was able to put the nut behind the welded nut on the seat, acting a little as a locknut. Not sure if this is too critical, however curious if I missed something?

malbaby

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
IMHO
1...Do not think that it matters which hole, I used the front one as I wanted to get the seat back as far as possible for leg room.
2...Are the 4A seats different to 4...my 4 seats do not have any connection to the seat rails at the rear....the seat belts and the driver/passenger weight are the only restraint.
3...The rubber buffers are only for non metal contact...the number of washers will adjust the rear of the seat height and therefore your individual driving position....less washers, seat tilts slightly back further... more washers,seat tilts forward....the locknut is optional.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
2. My TR4 had those rear clips, but both broke through the years and I have seen no need to replace them. As you conclude - when you are seated it isn't going anywhere.