• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Aston Martin vintage vs. new: thoughts?

paulgraham

Freshman Member
Which do you prefer: the old school Aston Martin V8 Vantage or the newer series?

astonmartinv877.jpg
astonmartinv8present.jpg

As much as I like the new ones, I can't help but love the design of the originals more. I don't know a lot about the specifics of this particular car when it comes to the technical specifications, but perhaps some of you might be able to answer that for me?

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
Of the 2 shown, I prefer the new one. The older one reminds me too much of a customized Mustang.

But I like the DB5 over any Aston Martin.

healeynut

Jedi Knight
Country flag
DB Mk III fastback for me, all time favorite. I like the 4 5 6s but the 2/4s and MkIII were nice because they were small sports cars.

the DB9 is a great car, but is huge.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Yeah, I'd say the AM on left (in the first post) isn't really "vintage enough". The early DB series cars are much nicer (although I'm sure that modern AMs are very good road cars). By the way, I raced with a DB-5 this weekend at the Jefferson 500 Vintage.

The DB-4 and DB-5 series cars are very nice (to my eye, at least). And the older Zagato cars (second photo below) are very appealing to me.

And many of us (including me) may really prefer the pre-war AMs like the Ulster (3rd photo below)

6535_mid.jpg

61.aston.martin.zagato.2.340.jpg

AstonMartinUlster1934.jpg

swift6

Yoda
healeynut said:
DB Mk III fastback for me, all time favorite. I like the 4 5 6s but the 2/4s and MkIII were nice because they were small sports cars.

the DB9 is a great car, but is huge.

Small must be relative in terms of these Astons. I know a DB2 MkII FHC quite well and it is not what I would call small.

OP
paulgraham

paulgraham

Freshman Member
I like the Zagato model too... how did you do in the race with a DB-5 aeronca?

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Paul:

Sorry, I was clearer. I was at the same event as the AM but not in the same race class, so we were not on-track together.

I'm sure he would have murdered me. :laugh:

He seemed to run quite well for all three days. I noticed him having a good race with an old live-axle Corvette at one point.

Here's two pictures from the weekend:

Nial-McCabe_Jeff-500-09-122.jpg

Nial-McCabe_Jeff-500-09-172.jpg

OP
paulgraham

paulgraham

Freshman Member
@aeron

Love the cat eyes on your car, it looks like so much fun to drive! I've got some copies of Top Gear Season 10 to giveaway, if you want to see some other great cars hitting the track.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Paul you have a PM

Tophatchef

Jedi Hopeful
Oh, two great options, but I really have to go with the newer model. It has more of a presence, and it looks "more" like an Aston Martin, even when you look more at the DB5, from the front anyway.

T

TRDejaVu

DB5 ever since I sat in one of the Goldfinger movie cars at the town fete (US county fair?), way back in the day.

MadRiver

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
I desperately want an Aston. Would love a DB5, but I'd have to sell the house and then actually live *in* the car. I'd be more than happy with a DB6. Spotted one a few weeks ago when we were in Arizona for a long weekend. Great machine. Prices are a little more reasonable than the DB5. In fact, there was a DB6 that recently sold at a recent RM auction for under $50k -- still outlandish, but more reasonable than what 5s are going for.

My old man -- professional restorer -- decided to get a DB5 in the mid-1980s when good original cars were routinely selling in the UK for well under $10k. He went to the UK, saw a bunch of cars, and then decided not to do it. He strongly prefers pre-war cars, and we had just finished doing his BJ8, and he had had enough of post-war welded bodies, brake servos, electrical accessories, and also had just started on an 1936 AC for a client.

Rest assured that I remind my father on a weekly basis of the bad investment savvy he showed by not buying an Aston. Heck, he could have bought a 5 and stuck it in the yard and he would have been ahead! I also regularly remind him of the Healey 100S he decided to pass on in the mid-1980s -- for $5k.

OP
paulgraham

paulgraham

Freshman Member
@MadRiver

Can't believe all of those great cars he passed up. Course, the old man sometimes makes mistakes. While not on the level of a Healy/Aston my old man bought one of the last Land Rover Defenders to sell in the states, it was completely decked out. Black, with enough chrome, extra lights, soft top oh man it was so much fun. Well for various reasons, no place to keep it, not being driven enough, he decided to sell it. We both regret that decision.