• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Arkley SS

Simon TR4a

Jedi Knight
Has anyone owned or driven one of these Spridget-based cars?
I remember them being advertised in Motor Sport in the 1970's by John Brittan, and thinking they looked like fun.

Never seen one on the road, but the kits or body panels are sold by a company in the US, and if you had a rusty car this might be a good project instead of a "correct" restoration.

I admit I am starting to feel a sort of vague interest; looks a bit like a Morgan for a quarter of the money? Well, for people who don't know what a Morgan is!
Simon.

Country flag
IMO, It might be more humane just to crush the rusty midget.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

jcatnite

Jedi Knight
I don't know, something about it just doesn't sit well with me. I guess if I never knew what a spridget looked like it wouldn't look so much like it just didn't fit. I guess I keep seeing the real car underneath. I don't think I could enjoy it...seems too much like a poser...which I guess is what it is..
JC

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
*no comment*

RobSelina

Jedi Warrior
Cameron.jpg

I don't care for two things -

1 - the entire rear end
2 - the fact that there's body work below the front fenders. It just doesn't look right to me....

jcatnite

Jedi Knight
Doc takes the high road...there's something I never thought I would see..lol
JC

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I had an evening student who had one. It was for sale and I actually sat in it once.
I had thought they might be interesting when I saw pictures....but "in the flesh", they are not my cup of tea.
This is one of the "Spridget Specials" I don't really care for.
I built my own version of a custom-body Spridget with some old fenders.....it's ~HERE~.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Did that have the radar absorbing paint on it Nial? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

Yours looks sooo much better than the *ahem* arklee-thingie.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
[ QUOTE ]
Did that have the radar absorbing paint on it Nial? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny you should ask, Doc....

Actually, those parts came from a crash. I hated to throw them away, so I hacked them into a sort of "slant-nose Spridget".

Since it was a rough, "20 foot job", I painted the entire nose with texture paint and them brushed on Rustoleum (a little Gloss Black mixed with Hunter Green makes an acceptable British Racing Green).

The textured appearance gave it a "carbon-fibre" affect...it's fooled a few people.

If I run any vintage events this year, I'll try to slip that nose back on and make up some lies about it being a rare LeMans racer or something. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
It'd actually "pass" for "special" from the looks of it!

Kinda neat.

adam70

Jedi Hopeful
I'm sure if someone took the time to fabricate a panel to fill the dead space between the front and rear fenders it would look pretty good., also the should definitely doo something about the space under the front fenders that is definitely tacky. they should jsut put a proper hood on it, and instead of having the whole front lift forward.

Morris

Yoda
If you like the look, Simon, there is a popular book out there that details how to build a Lotus-7 from the ground up for 500ÂŁ. I think that would be less than the Arkley kit.

RobSelina

Jedi Warrior
[ QUOTE ]
If you like the look, Simon, there is a popular book out there that details how to build a Lotus-7 from the ground up for 500ÂŁ. I think that would be less than the Arkley kit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm in! where can I get it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Morris

Yoda
I think I have seen it on Amazon and eBay. I can't remeber the title, but it is something along the lines of "Build a Lotus-7 for under ÂŁ500." If my foggy memory serves (and it never does) it's published by Haynes.

Morris

Yoda
I told you my brain was wired by Lucas. That's the book I was thinking of.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Roger! You BETTER be referrin' to that ~Arkley~ thingie and NOT a Lotus Seven, fella! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonono.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif