• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Application of Marvel Mystery Oil

AN6-TX

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Rather than high-jack the "peanut butter" thread, I figured I would start a new. There were a few mentions of using MMO in the other thread. I'd like to confirm that my understanding is correct. That is, MMO is being added to the engine oil, correct? And at what concentration?

Many thanks!

Stan Kowznofski

Country flag
I usually use about 20%, that would be 1 quart Marvel in a 5 quart system. I also add about 2 ounces to 5 gallons of fuel and have found less galling, pitting, etc. on aluminum surfaces in the fuel system. I use it in my car as well as lawn mower, garden tractor & snow blower. It helps to alleviate some of the wash-down caused by the alcohol in fuel. For full disclosure - I am not now nor have I ever been affiliated with the company, I learned to use it 50+ years ago hanging around with hot rodders & racers who swore by it.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I don't use MMO I use Lucas oil stabilizer - 20-25% (1 quart per oil change)

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
You can put it in the gas tank as well. That seems to have yielded a more noticeable result for me than adding it to the oil. Maybe because I'm dropping so much oil (I usually have to put in a quart every 200 - 300 miles), it really doesn't have have a chance to do its job.

This winter I'm going to take a shot at Seafoam, which I am told is like Marvel Mystery Oil on steroids.

OP
AN6-TX

AN6-TX

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I've used Seafoam on my daily drive ('11 Grand Cherokee) occasionally. It certainly does something... :smile:

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
The Seafoam seems to be working nicely. I took the Sprite out for it's first jaunt in 2019. Even though I still need to tweak the carbs, the car ran really strong. Part of it might be I've gotten more adept at my valve adjustments than I have in the past more than the Seafoam. The more notable application of the Seafoam was that I put some in the gearbox. I can't recall the tranny ever feeling as smooth as it does now when rowing through the gearbox.

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
My brother in law being a missle engineer had bought an Opel Gt and ran it for 300,000 miles on MMO exclusively, only changing the filter and topping off. One of his many experiments. Engine outlasted the body.

Joe Schlosser

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Does any one know what MMO is composed of??

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Does any one know what MMO is composed of??

Mystery Oil :jester:

from wikipedia

It is composed primarily of petroleum distillates, including mineral oil (60-100%), mineral spirits {10-30%}, tricresyl phosphate (an antiwear and extreme pressure additive in lubricants, 0.1-1.0%), ortho dichlorobenzene (a softening and removing agent for carbon-based contamination on metal surfaces, 0.1-1.0%), and para dichlorobenzene (a precursor used in the production of chemically and thermally resistant polymers, <0.1%).

and another website

I borrowed this from another thread, I've pasted this into a few threads before HTH. I would follow the suggested OCI for a vehicle and not run MMO if you plan on extending an OCI beyond what the mfg suggests.

70% Light Aromatic Oil (Pale Oil)
- It is a Naphthenic Oil, so while it oxidizes faster than a Paraffinic oil, it does clean and dissolve sludge and carbon well and cleans up after itself from any oxidation. serves as base oil as well. [Naphthenic oils have more solvency and are more polar (they are attracted to metal more), but oxidize faster.

29% Mineral Spirits
- Cleans Varnish very well. General cleaner. Also acts as an antioxidant.

38 parts per million (ppm) Boron
- AW/EP agent, friction reducer, antioxidant

900 ppm Phosporous
- AW/EP agent

1/2% 1, 2 ortho-Dichlorobenzene
- EP agent as it interacts with Iron to form an Iron chloride barrier under any ZDDP or other AW additives. Also very good cleaner/solvent, and friction reducer

1/4% 1, 4 para-Dichlorobenzene
- EP agent as it interacts with Iron to form an Iron chloride barrier under any ZDDP or other AW additives. Also very good cleaner/solvent, and friction reducer

Oil of wintergreen - for the scent
- Not just for the cent, is also a cleaner. may aid lubricity.

Red Dye - for the color
- well this one just colors the stuff