• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Anyone using Valvoline VR1 racing oil?

RickB

Yoda
I read about VR1 somewhere and thought I'd try it out.
Changed out the oil in my B yesterday with VR1 20W-50. This oil is different, it's consistency and the way it looks and feels is different from other oils I've used.
I'm assuming it will be good for my motor, I figure it can't hurt.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Re: Anyone using Valvolene VR1 racing oil?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]I'm assuming it will be good for my motor, I figure it can't hurt. [/QUOTE]
.......................uh, er.............
Let us know!

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda

It's got ZDDP in it, the response from their customer support when asked about use in our types of engines was something to the effect of:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Just simply use our VR1 racing products, our racing oils contain (zddp) additives. High Zinc and Phosphorus, you do not have to use any other additive.[/QUOTE]

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag

Well put Tony /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I just use regular old Castrol 20W-50 or whatever is on sale at Walmart. I change it often as the $20 to do so, is cheap insurance on engine longevity.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag

vping said:
Well put Tony /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I just use regular old Castrol 20W-50 or whatever is on sale at Walmart. I change it often as the $20 to do so, is cheap insurance on engine longevity.

Your my kind of guy Vince! If it's 20/50 and slippery, in it goes!
sign0191.gif
sign0188.gif

Mac_Townsend

Freshman Member

VR1.

If I am using up some GTX, I add Torco or STP additive to it.

There are those who claim that because VR1 carries an API SM seal that it is low phosphorous like the other stuff.

The chemical character of oils is specified by ILSAC. (A different specification, google it to learn what it is). An API SM oil may or may not incorporate ILSAC GF4. (API says as much)! 20W-50 won't meet ILSAC GF-4 because it also includes "energy saving" as part of the spec, (5-20/5-30).

Supposedly Castrol is going to come out with "Classic Car" oil, just as they have in the UK.

Ed Kaler

Jedi Warrior

Vince, you NEED to add (I like & use) the Lucas (ironic?) additive as Castrol GTX 25/50 does NOT have anywhere NEAR enough!!!

And Tony,IF you love the Spridget's NEW motor you had <span style='font-size: 14pt'><u><span style="color: #009900">BEST</span></u></span>
ALSO use the Lucas stuff!!!!!!!!!

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif
Ed

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag

What does this additive do and will it help if I change the oil every 500 miles?

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Run it with 20-50 Vince. Is pleanty good for our engines. You need nothing else really.

Been using VR1 for a long time, it has the zinc in it that is needed for new cam and lifter break in, and is a great oil to keep using that is reasonably priced and can be sourced almost anywhere, if it protects my race engines at 8000+ rpms, it will more than do the job in a street LBC. IMHO, this is the oil Castrol would like to be when it grows up /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

Ed Kaler said:
Vince, you NEED to add (I like & use) the Lucas (ironic?) additive as Castrol GTX 25/50 does NOT have anywhere NEAR enough!!!

And Tony,IF you love the Spridget's NEW motor you had <span style='font-size: 14pt'><u><span style="color: #009900">BEST</span></u></span>

Ed
Ed - are you talking about that oil additive you can buy at Advanced Auto parts stores?

Why do you think its needed in all our engines if we use Castrol 20W50?

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

LOL

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda

Thanks Hap, that's what I had heard.

Great to get the confirmation, like I said I am sure it wont hurt my motor. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/driving.gif

swift6

Yoda

tony barnhill said:
Ed Kaler said:

Ed
Ed - are you talking about that oil additive you can buy at Advanced Auto parts stores?

Why do you think its needed in all our engines if we use Castrol 20W50?

There have been several discussion concerning this problem on this very forum. Surprised you guys haven't read them.

Castrol 20W50 is no longer the same product you've been used to using. They have severely dropped the amount of ZDDP (Zinc dialkyl dithio phosphate) an important anti-wear additive, from just about every standard oil. That additive is important for longevity in engines with solid lifters. The VR1 has the ZDDP, as do some of the additives (but not all). ZDDP is also important for breaking in an engine.

Moss also sells a ZDDP additive as well as a new oil called "Collectors Choice" in 20W50 with ZDDP. Made by Hick's Oil.

sparkydave

Jedi Knight
Country flag

Just curious, does the ZDDP mostly benefit the cams, or does it help in other parts like thrust bearings? Hap, I know you mentioned that for a broken in motor the lower ZDDP isn't going to mean much for the cams in my Midget since it's already broken in, but would it help with the longevity of the thrust bearings? The Spitfire/Midget 1500 is notorious for eating thrust bearings.

Ed Kaler

Jedi Warrior

I was gonna try and quote the various questions until there are TOO many. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
1st, Tony spaketh:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Ed - are you talking about that oil additive you can buy at Advanced Auto parts stores?
Why do you think its needed in all our engines if we use Castrol 20W50? [/QUOTE]
Then fortunately Shawn spaketh (and THANKS, Shawn!!:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]There have been several discussion concerning this problem on this very forum. Surprised you guys haven't read them. [/QUOTE]
EVERYBODY should!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hammer.gif
Then sparkydave spaketh:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]does the ZDDP mostly benefit the cams, [/QUOTE]
and Mac Townsend replied:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Yes, ZDDP is needed on a continual basis, beyond break in. [/QUOTE]

The sitution is that the OLD Castrol GTX 20W50 <span style='font-family: Comic Sans MS'><span style="color: #CC0000">HAD</span></span> the ZDDP
levels required for <u><span style="color: #3333FF">FLAT-TAPPET MOTORS</span></u>. The problem exists for even My 'Camino's 350. <u><span style="color: #3333FF">FLAT-TAPPETS</span></u>!!! The majority of oils we USED to be able to use now needs the additive(s). And Tony, with a NEW cam/flat-tappets you REALLY need it or your "breakin" will not really occur because the degrading of tappets STARTS as soon as motor starts. For NEW motors I prefer GM's EOS as it is a Assembly Lube with INCREASED ZDDP levels.

Vince, YOU STILL need it also. Miles IS miles with short trips WORSE!! And I really do not think it is "responsible" to change oil at 500 miles. Better twice a season with filters. If anybody is REALLY concerned with taking the BEST care of your motor then you should do a Lab Analysis with every change. Info IS amazing.

And I would never use a synthetic oil for break in. Maybe for a race motor but not a street motor.

Ed

sparkydave

Jedi Knight
Country flag

Ed, I had read the discussions before, and the gist of what I had read was that for broken in engines, the lack of ZDDP was not an issue. Rebuilt engines would badly need the ZDDP for the break in, or the cams would soon be severely worn. I had asked, and I'm pretty sure Hap had indicated that Castrol was still fine for my 30,000 mile engine. Is that no longer the case?

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]I had asked, and I'm pretty sure Hap had indicated that Castrol was still fine for my 30,000 mile engine. Is that no longer the case?[/QUOTE]
My thoughts exactly...my '79 MGB with over 120,000 miles that I bought new & that has had its oil changed every 2,000 miles is just now having an engine problem (don't know yet if its a stuck valve, worn cam lobe or bad lifter)....& all the oil its had in it is Castrol 20w50!

& I know I have to use a break-in oil on the engine I'm building right now...but afterwards 20w50 has always worked for me!