• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Anyone near E. Palestine, OH?

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Chemical (and radiation) accidents happen more often than we realize. Some recent events:

It's pretty easy to get overwhelmed, with our 24/7 news and media barrages.
This one is pretty darn devastating if what my friend with family in the area is telling me. Not just a minor spill. I get your point but this is worth the air time in my humble opinion.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Eastern Ohio and Western PA. Enon Valley is a rock toss from there.

Now see I-10 near Tuscon, AZ has a chem incident.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Could some of these be lack of maintenance on the nation's railroad infrastructure?

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Could some of these be lack of maintenance on the nation's railroad infrastructure?

ding ding ding!

You got it.

Same for bridges, highways, air traffic control, power grids, etc.

We like cheap goods and lots of toys, but we're reluctant to pay for maintenance of public services.

Ah, humans.

Last edited:
OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Absolutely 100% guaranteed! And it remains my ignorant opinion that this story should be getting much more national attention than it is. My friends family in the area is hearing zip from the Feds. They are frightened.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
If railroad infrastructure maintenance is the issue, shouldn't the railroad be responsible for neglect and advising the public? Railroads own the tracks - not government.

Here's what federal agencies are doing in Ohio now:

Just sayin'

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
If railroad infrastructure maintenance is the issue, shouldn't the railroad be responsible for neglect and advising the public? Railroads own the tracks - not government.

Here's what federal agencies are doing in Ohio now:

Just sayin'
You are correct. But this still should be getting more national attention. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. I have seen similar disasters in the past that did get lots of national attention. Just sayin'

PS: Saw a presser with Mike Dewine (had to hunt for it) and he indicated that the railroad CEO has committed to paying for the cleanup.

Country flag
Like every business they're run by money managers anymore and not really railroad people. So cashflow, in v out, is the primary calculation. What can they do to mostly avoid high cost problems in order to maximize profits. So, older rolling stock and engines, put off track maintenance until absolutely necessary and so on seems to be the business model.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Saw it on both NBC Nightly News and CNN, several times.

No doubt some of the cause will be attributed to infrastructure issues. I imagine this one will be a long, drawn-out affair...

Country flag
Apparently it followed the rules. Seems if it is a small enough part of the train then the overall load can be labeled that way. Doesn't make sense, but it's probably one of those railroad pushed through rules.

And it was reported on the news tonight, over the last 10 years N&S has spent about $113b on equipment and maintenance with nearl twice that much on stock buybacks, executive compensation and dividends. Plus large cuts in workers actually out in the field running/maintaining stuff.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
ohio.jpeg