• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Anyone have any spare TR4/4A door glass?

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
While heading to my club breakfast yesterday, I met a very nice old lady at a stoplight. So nice in fact, she decided to help me customize the back trunk of my TR4 by taking her foot off the brake while we were all stopped and bumping right into me at maybe 5 mph or less:

IMG_1805.jpg

Her beat up Ford Ranger somehow hit directly on the trunk handle, pushing it in and creating a pretty big depression in the trunk, as well as me.

I'm fairly sure the trunk will be fixable at some point, but I'm in a hurry to get the car roadworthy for a potential run to the VTR national so I'm planning on repainting a donor lid I had squirreled away after it is tweaked a bit:
IMG_1812.jpg

Hopefully I can get it fixed up quickly and get past the lousy feeling I have. Oh yeah - about the door glass. I need a drivers side glass now. I learned several valuable lessons from this accident. These are the top 2:

1) When something bad happens to you out of nowhere, your immediate reaction should not be breaking one of the commandments by yelling something very loudly in vain.

2) After exchanging pleasantries with the nice person you've just met, you should make sure your adrenalin is in check when you get back in your broken car and close the door. Hard.

I think #1 and #2 may be related.. Anyway I think I have a grungy donor glass from my parts stash to fix this as well - but if indeed you have a spare TR4/4A (not TR6) glass you want to get rid of please pm me. I may meet this lady again sometime. In the meantime I'd really rather be rebuilding my 3A engine right now.

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Randy,

I definitely can understood your pain. I had this happen to my TR4A as well not long after it was restored. Must be a really big magnet in that trunk handle.

Scott

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Bummer! Oh man Randy, sorry to see that.

If no one local has glass I can check to see if any of the donor doors I have have good glass in them.

MikeTR3B

Freshman Member
Country flag
Randy,

I think Scott in VA had it right about the magnet in your trunk handle and I can't believe that you haven't removed it by now. I had a big one in my 4A about 25 years ago and it attracted a full size pickup. HUGE magnet. I immediately removed it and never had a problem after that. I don't think the side curtain TR's came with the magnets but I would check that anyway. For sure I checked it on my 3B because we all know that many TR4 parts were included on those cars. Of course, this is not to be confused with the very large chick magnet that is located elsewhere in the vehicle.

Just trying to help.

OP
TR4nut

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Welcome to the forum MikeTR3B - Hope you stay on it! I always appreciate your guidance, and now that you mention it, it was a woman that hit me so maybe the chick magnet thing has some credence as well!

Tom- thanks for the offer, I just pulled the door I had in storage and the glass still looks good. So the rest of today will be trying to fix the issue that I created - I think that one annoys me the most at this point!

Randy

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Randy,

By the time you were at the meeting, you seemed pretty cool about the whole thing. My frustration usually "grows", instead of "letting it out". I'm glad you had the strength to say what you needed, and not let it ruin the rest of your day. If it's any consolation, I said the same thing aloud when I looked at your picture.

T

TRDejaVu

Sorry to hear that Randy. Small consolation that it didn't cause damage to other harder to repair areas.

D

DougF

TRDejaVu said:
Sorry to hear that Randy. Small consolation that it didn't cause damage to other harder to repair areas.
Like the woman's skull?

OP
TR4nut

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks for the comments guys - just spent the day and have replaced the door glass with one from the parts stash, so cancel the call for replacement glass. Just getting that done makes me feel a lot better. Will try to track down a painter this week and hopefully can get the trunk lid done and this off my mind permanently!

OP
TR4nut

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
TRDejaVu said:
Won't she be paying for this through an insurance claim?

Well that was lesson learned #3 - when I saw who hit me and the condition of her truck in the first place, I made the decision to deal with it myself. A combination of being upset, in a busy area, and knowing I was going to do the majority of the work anyway. So I let her go. I know, I know, that was a mistake. But right now it looks like I'm only dealing with a painter to get a coat on the replacement trunk so from a cash perspective I'm hoping for not too big a hit - and I'm glad I'm not dealing with insurance companies and multiple quotes.

hondo402000

Darth Vader
well let me just say no good deed goes un punished,(first hand experience) you might have called the police got it on record as to whos fault it was cause next thing you know you will be getting a call from her attourney that you backed into her and now she has a neck problem and you have to proove she hit you so you wont get sued

I hope it doenst happen

OP
TR4nut

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Well lets just say I hope it doesn't happen either! This driver didn't have the courtesy or wherewithall to even get out of her truck - she apparently doesn't think its out of the ordinary to use the next car in line to help her judge distances. So I'm pretty sure she doesn't have a lawyer or know how to contact me at this point.