• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGC Any recommendations for a good MG restorer in California

OP
69MGC

69MGC

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
If you know where I can find one I’d appreciate it. It took me 20 years of saving and looking to find this one. I wish the PO had been more forthcoming about its condition

Last edited:

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
The news sucks but, I don't believe it needs to be that bad. I restored mine (Midget) for considerably less - though admittedly it sounds like it was in better shape.

The mechanicals you can do. Especially with the help of this forum. These cars are super easy and you can easily refresh the engine even if it isn't a full rebuild.

The body work is a little more difficult but, even there there are options.

1. a local college
2. a local prison
3. a retired body man (my car work got done though a retired guy who has a small double garage - $40 per hour)
4. an apprentice moonlighting.

there are choices.

ask around, there are many more economical options. Of course if you can find a good solid shell so much the better. But, don't be discouraged we can find a solution.

OP
69MGC

69MGC

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Thanks for the pep talk JP. I'm still weighing my options. Not as discouraged as I was a few days ago.

Kevin

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Thanks for the pep talk JP. I'm still weighing my options. Not as discouraged as I was a few days ago.

Kevin

I genuinely believe that these can be done on a budget - 32k exceeds the value of the car and may even be a 'go away' bid though I suppose that is what it costs for everything. OTOH, 13k for an MG engine puts in race engine territory. You should be able to do it for a couple grand tops. Keep us posted.

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
We all understand money, the driver car I started with ( 73 TR 6 ) was $ 3,500.00 I found two other parts cars for another $ 150.00. Car one had a bad frame I saw later so off the parts car came the frame fenders from another dash and gauges a mix of all. All drive and trans & diff parts came driver car all wheels brakes etc from a mix as to their condition ( Rust-broken - and just plane shot ) No rust to body but hood need much work as driver had been in a wreck that why frame a fenders were poor and parts cars were good. Like you I did not know this when I bought the driver.

I had a three car garage oversize with lots of room and I filled in part time in a British car shop giving me acc. to tools and help on my weak knowledge of some of the TR 6. As I now had two places to work on the TR motor trans etc. there frame body at home I did the frame up restoration in one year. I can say I did it all my self with help from a friend or two. Paint and seats and machine shop work were the only outside work. As for the money I quit adding it up at $ 10,000.00 so no idea of total cost ( I know that does not help you but it was 27 years ago )

My wife baby sat the people next to us for $ 60.00 a week she payed the cost. other money came as trade for my time at the shop. None of this may fit you or your car but it was a great experience for me and I know every nut and bolt of the TR 6.

If I had a word or two for you to think about. You have a rare car and the experience will last a life time. It need not be prefect it need not be completely true to the C but it will be yours . Madflyer

HPIM2684.jpgHPIM2684.jpgHPIM2684.jpgHPIM2684.jpgHPIM2684.jpgHPIM2684.jpg

Attachments

• HPIM2606.jpg
    HPIM2606.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 51
  • HPIM2607.jpg
    HPIM2607.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 49

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
I completely rebuilt an MG TD in my spare time in an unheated one-car garage. Took me about a year because I had to wait for woodwork and 2 fenders to be handmade. Don't remember the exact cost because my diary was lost when I moved in 1982 but I sold the car for $9,500.00 and made some money on it - like Wheeler Dealers. Forget the 600-odd hours I spent. I did farm out the paint job to a local shop owned by a skiing buddy of mine and he gave me a great price you couldn't touch today unless you go to Maaco and a valve job for $45.00 by a racecar mechanic I knew. If you have a place to work and some good tools and some spare time, you can get a book to study and do a lot of work yourself. If you don't want to try it yourself, perhaps you can find a buyer in the UK willing to take it off your hands.MGTD-before.jpgMGTD-after.jpg

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I had a 53 TD did some work on it. I lived in Sacramento at the time summers were to hot for the car. It was not a car that I would take on the road. Sold it for more than I payed for it. Madflyer