• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGC Any recommendations for a good MG restorer in California

69MGC

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
HI Guys

I've been working on and off (mostly off) on my 1969 MGC rebuild. The more I get into it the more I find wrong and the less I feel comfortable tackling the jobs.

Do any of you out there have a recommendation for a good MG guy in Northern CA (Bay Area) that you trust and would do a good job on some of the necessary work for my car. I'm in need of lower rocker panel replacements, some body work and someone to go through the engine and let me know if she's gonna start. Previous owner said the engine was rebuilt but I have doubts that it was done correctly.

Anyway if you know of anyone, or shop in the Bay Area please let me know.

Thanks
Kevin
69MGC

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
No knowledge of Bay Area shops but a suggestion: check with Grantura_MKI here on the forum, he would likely have better info.

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I would try the Bay area MG club and or the Sacramento club UBCC Try Jerry 916-425-1687 It may be an old number Say Reno club sent you. Sacramento had some well reviewed shops but I have not lived there in years. Madflyer

OP
69MGC

69MGC

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
It's a Roadster. I had one when I was in high school and sold it when I got married. Biggest mistake of my life, Selling the car, not the marriage. LOL

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
When I got married now 50 years ago I had a TR 250 traded for a 4 door kids and all that . Wife kids are all life's joy losing TR 250 still a sad day. Madflyer
PS Let me know if that was any help. There is a Company Morgan Hill that one of my members has his TR at this time so no reviews yet.

OP
69MGC

69MGC

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Is the place called On the Road Again? I’ve heard about that place. If you hear from your friend with comments about his experience I’d love to hear about it.

thanks
Kevin

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
You probably need two shops. MGC was the only torsion bar car that MG ever produced. The box section at the front needs to be correct and a good metal man will be required. Motor is not a big issue as long as you have receipts...if not, I would disassemble and inspect. At one time cam bearings where not easy to come by. Would not take a chance.
I have owned two...one GT with OD gearbox. Couldn’t keep the gears in the case. One roadster with a slosh box...great car to tour in without the worry of stripping the cluster gear! GT was a much more rigid car.

OP
69MGC

69MGC

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Thanks for the response. I'll continue my search.

You probably need two shops. MGC was the only torsion bar car that MG ever produced. The box section at the front needs to be correct and a good metal man will be required. Motor is not a big issue as long as you have receipts...if not, I would disassemble and inspect. At one time cam bearings where not easy to come by. Would not take a chance.
I have owned two...one GT with OD gearbox. Couldn’t keep the gears in the case. One roadster with a slosh box...great car to tour in without the worry of stripping the cluster gear! GT was a much more rigid car.

OP
69MGC

69MGC

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
More on the saga of my MGC restoration.

Spoke with a shop that did an inspection back in 2012 on the car I purchased in 2016 on eBay. Long list of issues. Mostly due to age and from where the car originated, let's just say the winters are harsh where this car came from. However I wasn't expecting the engine issues that were outlined as when I bought the car the PO had said that the engine was in fine shape and I think I remember him saying the engine was rebuilt, which wasn't true. But i may have misconstrued what he said. Anyway the car should get a complete rebuild and the estimate to do that came in at $32K+. Shocked to say the least but having been around classic cars for awhile not wholly out of the ball park, I suppose.

I'm now looking at other options for the car:

1. Rebuild the engine $13K, maybe not worth it,
2. Swap the engine for a lighter V8 or V6, possibly.
3. New wiring all around, the present wiring is cracked and some of the original wires were bypassed to get the replaced fuel pump working, All in all it's in sad shape.
4. Get those rockers replaced, after seeing into the replaced rocker on one side I can see that it wasn't done by someone who knew what they were doing. Replacement cost, yet to be determined.
5. Rebuild/replace the Brake Boosters, not too expensive
6. De-rust the Torsion bars and adjustors. I think I can do that myself but will need help to set those up if I have to remove to deal with the rust

That's just a short list of what the car needs. Can't afford $32K for a shop to do it so I'll piece meal it as best I can.

If I decide to go the engine swap route, anyone have any suggestions for engine and trans that would fit without a lot of body/frame mods?

Thanks for listening guys.

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I think there is a Rover that fits. The wiring is an easy do if you are taking the down to bones. If you remove motor and strip it Machine shop work not bad Look at items before giving it to some one that would keep it for six months and say he can not get a crank. Trust is number one. There are JC Collage's that have night classes on motors and such some even ASI cert. I had a friend that took a night class at a JC school in the Bay Area . A wood shop class and built his sail boat there big discount on wood and all tools. he would make the parts as per plans and take them home and put it together. Like the Johnny Cash song A PICE AT A TIME.
Last thing call this guy [ John Rogers 503-432-9595 ] He is the Vice-Chairman of North American MG B Register in Nevada City CA. He is the MGC man. I drove one of his cars ( MB C -GT ) to deliver to the bay area for a friend. He will help you with any question. I had him come to our club meeting in Reno a few years ago. A Great guy. Say you were sent by the Reno British Car Club Andy. Madflyer

OP
69MGC

69MGC

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I understand your feeling about the C. I'm looking at all options. To be honest there is so much wrong with this car that will never be what it once was. But I'll keep your comment in mind.

OP
69MGC

69MGC

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Thank you again Madflyer for your input. I've got a lot to research and a decision to make. I wish that money was no object for me but realistically I can't pay that kind of money for a restoration. We will see where this project goes.

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Wish I would have sold you my last one. It was complete with the normal dog leg rust. Maybe look for another to make one good one??