• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Any Experience with BendPak MD-6XP Scissor Lift?

fwtexasbj8

Country flag
I have been a pretty good boy this year and Santa is planning on finally getting me a lift for the toys! I am very height limited so will not be able to get a 2-post lift like I really want but a scissor lift looks like the next best thing for my constrained garage. Does anyone have any experience with scissor lifts for their Healey (or E-Type or TR-6) and more specifically, does anyone use a BendPak MD-6XP? It looks like the geometry of the swing arms will work on all the LBCs but cannot find any real compatibility info.

Thanks as always,
Doug

busybrit

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Well, I must have been a very good boy because I got my scissor lift three weeks ago, it's an Atlas TD6MR.

Only lifted one car so far, an MGTD. I used the truck adaptors as the frame on a TD is quite a bit higher than the 3000 I have in the next bay.

I bought mine from www.gregsmithequipment.com out of ATLANTA, $1645 delivered. It's the same as the BendPac unit but in black! Go take a look, you'll see what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlTRrBkyvfM This link shows how close the lift is to the underside on the TD without the ramps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9enDCjC5H4g Lift without a car, just going up n down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjtQCaIC3DI Lift with TD on it, I've lifted my garage door since my son did the video so I can get the car several inches higher.

Not actually measured how high, wheels are at chest height.

Hope this helps.

I had to make two wood ramps from 2x10's with 2x4's under each end, just to save weight rather than have the 2x10's doubled up. The plan is to sink it into the ground when I decide where it works best, and when I've got nothing better to do.

Country flag
It doesn't look like there is much access with all the mechanism under the car. Change wheels and oil but it doesn't look all that convenient for other things. Am I wrong?

GregoryW

Freshman Member
Country flag
I have the same concern as TH.

I got one of these https://www.maxjaxusa.com/ from Costco for $2000.

Here's our Healey on the Maxjax. The ceiling is 9' 6", and the Healey doesn't get anywhere near it.

attachment.php

Total access down below...

attachment.php

I can even run the truck all the way up. It's a bit close!

attachment.php

Attachments

• Healey-Underbelly-web.jpg
    Healey-Underbelly-web.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 171
  • Greg-and-Mesa-web1.jpg
    Greg-and-Mesa-web1.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 167
  • GMC-on-lift-web1.jpg
    GMC-on-lift-web1.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 174
Country flag
I put a 2-post "floorplate-type" (hydraulic hose and equalizing cables run across the floor under a steel plate instead of overhead) in a garage with a 9'3" ceiling. I did have to allow the top inch or so of each column to protrude through the sheetrock, in between the floor joists, but once framed with 1 x 3 trim, looked completely acceptable.

This allowed complete access to the entire underside of the Healey (as well as dozens upon dozens of BMWs). Just by the nature of the Healey's exhaust placement, I would not think the scissor-lift would be a good choice; if the lift mechanisms were spaced close enough to lift on the frame rails, stability would be a concern for me.

Price-wise, it's pretty much a wash, as I think the 2-posts have come down considerably since I bought my first one (an Atlas, I believe, Ihave since added a more expensive Bend-Pak overhead type 2-post since our latest move).

I just couldn't seem to find an underall view showing the whole car on the lift, but this is representative of the complete access:

IMG_7636.jpg

OP
F

fwtexasbj8

Country flag
Thanks for the advice and pictures! I built more Max Jax mockups and decided I would compromise my garage space when I need it and just ordered a Max Jax at Costco, on sale now for $300 off. I always knew the scissor lift was a trade on space versus access and based on comments here and the E-Type forums, I decide the access of the 2 post outweighed the convenience of not rearranging the shop every time I need it.

When I install the Max Jax, I will need it as narrow as possible. Can anyone with one let me know the dimension from outside the base plates you used? The installation manual says 105-125 inches depending on the car. I will primarily use it in the garage for the Healey, E-Type and TR-6 so 105 inches might be more than I need. I will set anchors outside in the driveway for the other modern 2 Jags for brakes or oil changes.

Thanks again for the help!
Doug

Country flag
I've had a benpak for 10 years. Couldn't do w/o it. It can be limited underneath but the fact I can move it around and keeps shop open works or me.
marv

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
It doesn't look like there is much access with all the mechanism under the car. Change wheels and oil but it doesn't look all that convenient for other things. Am I wrong?

Nope TH you are spot on

GregoryW

Freshman Member
Country flag
Hey Doug,

I see that Randy lifts his car out by the rockers. I wasn't sure if that was ok (for questionable frames, it probably isn't), so I set the width to reach the main frame rails.

Inside to inside, my posts measure 83 inches. The baseplates are 13" wide, so the outside measurement you're looking for would be 109".

Of course, that's too narrow to fit most cars on, so I drilled a second set of holes for the right post. That inside/outside measurement is 102"/128". It takes less that 5 minutes to move the post.

There are a lot of discussions about MaxJax installation on https://www.garagejournal.com/. The anchors can be a pain (they don't always want to bite), so read up on what other people have done.

To clear the muffler and exhaust pipes, I put 2x4 blocks on top of the rear pads. The front pads clear everything without any shimming.

You're going to love your new lift!

Greg