• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

General TR Andy Mace, here;s the numbers on the Hillman.

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Andy, I said I would get back with you on the Sport Six. It turns out he sold it a few years back and does not have the numbers, BUT!, he now has a Hillman that is going the same way as the other one. He did gather a few extra parts, doors, hood (bonnet) and the top off a coupe, cut at the body level, good job as on first glance I thought it was a hard top. I did try to get a figure out of him, but no go on the sale, the garage will fall in be fore it moves. The numbers for the 1147cc Hillman are Commission # 083854 6 LCV, Paint 19 and Trim 11. Very dark, even with all the holes in the roof.

I had given him some GT6 front ends and rear suspension parts for a project he had on a SCCA racer of some kind which he is not really healthy enough to complete. I hated to ask for it back, but the front left spindle was bent so bad, we couldn't get the trunnion to turn. We did learn a little about the front suspension hangers that I had just never paid attention to. The front hanger is offset to the top and the rear is in the middle, you would think I would have seen that. Live and learn.

Having a good time making a Spit6, Wayne

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Forgive me, Wayne, but I suspect you mean a: a Herald (rather than a Hillman) and b: GB38546LCV, which would be a legitimate Herald commission number circa late 1965 or (just as, if not more, likely) titled a 1966. Paint 19 and Trim 11 translate to [Triumph] White and black, respectively. Both the Herald saloon (sedan) and Coupe roofs simply unbolt, so no cutting is/was necessary. That's the good news. The bad news is that the Coupe roof won't fit the convertible, as the convertible's rear deck starts further back (you'd need some sort of horizontal "filler" piece behind the rear of the Coupe roof), so that potential project would've been pretty much doomed from the start. :(

OP
trrdster2000

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Andy, you are correct, off course. It was a long day and my mind went south. I had to crawl over a pile of parts and 6 inches of leaves, then after fighting the door the numbers were on the fire wall. I keep saying "nice snake, be nice now". I will tell James he is going the wrong way on the top, I'll even hit him up for a sale price in a month or so, when I take his parts back.
Remind me to take a flash light and magnifying glass the next time, I'm not the first one to get numbers and letters mixed up on one of these cars. LOL.
Wish we could save this one, cute as a button. We could put it on the Spitfire, as we are only using the body and a few bits. Not a bad idea, what do you think? Even if we gave him the whole thing, he might do it. Just thought of that, NEXT PROJECT!

Wayne

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Needless to say, the Herald (on whose chassis and mechanical bits the Spitfire was based) can make for a very nice four-passenger Spitfire with nothing more than a few wrenches and the right donor bits!

As for transcription errors on numbers, I think back to late 1969 and my first Herald: GB19033LCV. I had to do a pencil rubbing of the commission number plate, after which I had little trouble convincing NY's DMV that the number was not G819033LCV! :D

OP
trrdster2000

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Andy, you have made my day again. Now all I have to do is convince James to go in one direction or the other, just go, I think I need to get the wife out there and let it be her idea to do this. Sure would go a lot smoother when it came to spending money.
Speaking of car numbers, the '37 when registering in San Antonio, the log book from England said chassis number was TA 1796, well it did not have a TA on the frame and it was Kathy bar the door. Only all the paper work from shipping by the US Government saved the day.

Thanks again, Wayne