• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A An Unusual Brake and Clutch MC Set Up?

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Bronze
Country flag
This was the set up in the car when I bought it 20 years ago. It looks like the Previous Owner installed a TR4 clutch MC in place of the stock set up. It has come time for me to replace both MCs. The TR4 clutch MC (pretty sure it's a .75 bore but I haven't removed it yet to have look) has worked well over the years so I'm thinking of just rebuilding or replacing it.
100_2257.JPG
The TR3 brake resevoir has one pipe going to the mc and the other opening for the clutch mc is blanked out and appears to have never been punched out to accommodate the pipe? Did the reservoir's come with blanked in pipe openings at one time? I would have thought that they would have come with the pipe connectors already installed? Are the reservoir connector fittings available separately if I want to convert to the stock TR3 MC?
As you can see my TR3 is a little bit rough and ready and not concours but it is a fun daily driver and all the mechanicals have been replaced.:smile:

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
If it's a Girling you should see a '3/4' cast into the side of the reservoir portion. I see they have also used a TR4 brake light switch.

I assume you're aware there is a trap door on the rear side of the well the cylinders are set into? Comes off by removing screws inside the cabin.

Makes any cylinder work much easier.

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
My 59 TR3 came with the TR4 cylinders too. It also had a TR4 engine and overdrive TR4 transmission. PO said it came that way when he bought it in 1970. It also came with a can of brake fluid in the windshield washer bottle holder. The leak turned out to be in a wheel cylinder but I replaced all the parts with the correct TR3 ones.
I think I still have some TR3 pieces but no original cylinders. Send me a PM if you are interested.
Tom

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
S TR2/3/3A What are some unusual places you've found parts for your car? Triumph 11
roscoe An Unusual Healey Mission Austin Healey 2
Editor_Reid Unusual Leaf Spring Austin Healey 4
T Unusual gearbox identification Spridgets 1
TomMull Somthing affordable and unusual for the car shows? Other Cars 1
Brinkerhoff TR4/4A Belgium built TR4A, is a bit unusual ! Triumph 16
Bob Claffie Spitfire Unusual parts Triumph 1
W Please help ID this unusual [& beautiful] carburetor adapter Other British Cars 4
T TR2/3/3A Unusual Tires On TR3 Triumph 24
catfood Unusual BN1 Austin Healey 12
B General TR Unusual banjo pieces for brakes? Triumph 3
V TR2/3/3A Unusual Engine Number Triumph 5
angelfj1 TR2/3/3A TR2.5 - Unusual wheels and mirror Triumph 11
K Most Unusual Bodge or Repair by a PO? Triumph 21
DNK So that's unusual Lotus 6
angelfj1 Unusual Air Filters Triumph 28
angelfj1 TR2/3/3A A most unusual TR2! Triumph 17
angelfj1 Unusual TR Commission Numbers Triumph 7
G Something unusual at the station today Other British Cars 0
tony barnhill Unusual Things Found in Your Car MG 29
AngliaGT Unusual Sight Today..... MG 8
jlaird My unusual day. Spridgets 23
NutmegCT unusual starter noise Triumph 7
A Unusual 1963 Honda S600 Sports Car Other Cars 20
jlaird Unusual for me Spridgets 10
tony barnhill So, Where's the Most Unusual Place You've... MG 43
Sherlock Unusual automotive sightings Other Cars 2
Sherlock Unusual cars in movies - news flash Other Cars 3
Sherlock If a Mini isn't unusual enough for you... British Motor Corp 17
6 Brake Fluid Spridgets 4
F Excessive Brake Pedal Travel Austin Healey 3
F Disc Brake Shimming Austin Healey 8
PDIGIO_6x3 TR6 BRAKE TUBING KITS Triumph 6
L Red Rubber Brake Grease Austin Healey 2
Martinld123 Emergency Brake Doesn't Release Austin Healey 9
71TR6 TR2/3/3A Aftermarket brake and clutch master cylinders - black extension? Triumph 6
petnatcar Aluminum Brake Fluid Reservior Austin Healey 5
M Brake Servo Austin Healey 2
E TR4/4A What Flare to put on a TR4 Brake Line Triumph 2
scottkilpatrick TR4/4A TR4 Rear Brake Drum Removal - Basic Question Triumph 16
T Spin-On Oil Filters for Cars with a Brake Servo Austin Healey 3
J MGB BRAKE VALVE ? MG 11
G Brake Light Switch Failure Austin Healey 24
B Rear Brake Cylinders Austin Healey 4
K TR2/3/3A Brand new brake caliper question... Triumph 8
K TR2/3/3A Front brake hub removal to access Vertical Link bolts(screws) Attached pictures. Triumph 1
K TR2/3/3A How to remove the front brake hub from the brake disc? Triumph 11
J TR2/3/3A Brake Line Flares Triumph 8
Frameman 1949 Brake Bleeding Austin Healey 0
Racer-X- Frame mounted power brake pedal/booster/master cylinder kits for RHD cars? Restoration & Tools 1