• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Group statistics

Members:
Threads:
Discussions:
Photos:

Group events

Photography

An itch I may have to scratch

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
After watching a video about film photography today, (I blame JPSmit!) I started thinking about whether it'd be even possible to shoot film and process it here again. Got out the old film cameras, Nikons all, not one of them would reliably trip the shutter. Found that developing chemistry for B&W and C-41 color neg are still available, sent an inquiry to a repair shop in Washington state and got this back:

Thank you for reaching out.

We offer a full CLA for the Nikon F2 for $150.

This includes new pads / seals, meter / shutter calibration, internal cleaning - a general overhaul to try to return it to the best shape since it rolled off the line. Worst case scenario is that it needs parts that our technician is unable to get, in which case he will usually refuse to do the CLA. This is pretty rare for Nikon cameras.

Each repair is warrantied for 1 year.

The repair queue is currently 4-6 weeks.

If you are sending in the camera, please strip of accessories (caps, straps, filters, etc.), securely package, and include a note of approval ("Ok'd to $150).
Should the cost exceed the estimate, we'll reach out to you asap to gain your approval prior to moving forward.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

All the best,

The response was within minutes, I consider that a good sign. I think the F-2 is going to Washington.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
My bad. Portland, Oregon.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
I say follow your heart. I doubt I'll ever go back to film. Having seen the difference of digital through the exact same lenses, I just like it better. This is comparing darkroom print to printer print. The closest would be techpan or whatever was a 25 ASA in color.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Not going to dispute the differences, I'm now a convert! Just thought it'd be somewhat therapeutic for me, currently house bound. It's good to at least know the option is available. The B&W shot you just posted of the model is proof digital is easily on par.

For me, the last B&W Kodak emulsion with a fine grain is T-Max 100, still available both in rolls and bulk. Pricey for sure, but available. I'll not be doing any bulk loading! Occasional roll, just for fun.
Color film of a 25 ASA would be Kodachrome. Gone but not forgotten.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
My Amphoto data guide lists Tmax 100 with a resolving power of 200 lines/mm. Techpan in technidol could get 400 lines/mm. Not really sure how that would compare to digital. My sensor hs 4020 pixels for a 1" length. Divide that with 25.4 makes 158 dots/mm. Is a dot and a line the same width?

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Honestly I don't have a clue. It's too deep into the minutia fer my taste. The Kodak film and chemistry are easily obtained and I know what results I'll get. Toward the end of shooting with film, most of the stuff we did was for publication on newsprint, so the T-Max emulsions far exceeded the halftone requirements! ;)

And as I said, I'm a convert. Amazed and pleased with digital, glad I waited as long as I did, too. Money I would have spent before it got to this point, :eek: IYSWIM.

Last edited:

Basil

Administrator
Boss
I'm too lazy to go back to film. I do still have a film camera and might shoot some one of these days, but I'd have to send it out for processing.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I'm too lazy to go back to film. I do still have a film camera and might shoot some one of these days, but I'd have to send it out for processing.
I pulled out the old Nikons, went thru 'em to see if any were working. Not one would reliably trip its shutter. Decided the F-2 would be the first candidate for refurb, it's great as a fun, rugged piece of kit. Will likely do the FE next. With a resurgence in interest for film they may even be worth putting up for sale after I've "scratched the itch." As Greg points out, digital has matched or exceeded film for image quality.

We'd often thought about trying to get our paws on one of the Naritsu C-41 setups from a CVS/Eckerd/Walgreens when they started limiting the stores that ran processing. Luckily other pursuits prevailed.

Film processing on a small scale is relatively easy, it's the print process that gets involved. Now, with good scanning equipment "no darkroom required." We have all the needed stuff to do film, I likely even have some unmixed B&W chemistry stashed someplace. A third bedroom was a working darkroom until the late '90's, now it's just a big storage closet.