• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

An interesting idea - keep an open mind lads.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
On my Austin 7 forum, there has been a brisk conversation going on about what you would include in a workshop. Conversation has been wide ranging and quite interesting (much more to tools to make - lathes etc due to cars that this year will turn 100 years old)

This post was just made:

I also installed two Amazon Alexa smart speakers at each end of the garage - they are linked for radio, can do fast maths when asked, note taking etc - but also they can be used in an emergency should the worse happen and you are stuck under a car etc, i can shout on "Alexa" to call my neighbour, Friend or even 999 should i be unable to move, so far i have not had to use this feature, but it does also phone my own phone when it is lost down an engine bay etc to help me find it when lost.

I must confess that I have no use for these things and no desire to be listened to. At the same time, I have increasingly wondered about garage safety and security. IIRC even on this forum there are those who will not go to the garage unless a family member is present in the house. I have similarly heard of those who carry an alarm in their pocket.

This might be an acceptable solution to one aspect of shop safety.

thoughts?

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I think it's a great idea. Especially as we grow older - so many mishaps become more likely to occur. Good example: I have a pull-down staircase in the garage to access the attic. While I don't go up there often, there's always the possibility that I could miss a step and land on the concrete.

I suppose an alternative would be a baby monitor, but that's constantly on and I don't think Janet wants to hear my choice of music while puttering around... or choice words I might cut loose when smashing a knuckle or two...

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I share a shop with two other guys, both older than I am. There are nearly always at least two of us there working. "Quiting time" is usually around noon. On those few occasions when I go back in the afternoon, I try to never do something dangerous, like crawling under a car on jack stands. There was one recently where I needed some upholstery pieces from the top shelf and had to climb a 10 foot ladder to get there. I did not tell the wife about that.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I'd not want any "stand-by" gizmo hearing my conversations with myself. Nope. Alexa and Siri can go, mmm... play amongst themselves.

Safe engineering practices have served me well over my lifetime. And seen what happens to others when they're not.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
1642209979751.png