Dugger
Senior Member
Offline
I may have messed up, but I had real good intentions. My OE Lucas ACR17 had a serious squealing front bearing, so I decided that I would rebuild the unit, but until I could get to that little project, I would install a "modern" alternator for the meantime.
I picked up a Motorcraft unit and with a little work got it mounted nice and straight. No problem really, just a little boss grinding here and there and another adjustment arm from an parts store and walaa, modern alternator installed.
Here is where it gets dicey, I connected the 10ga. brown/yellow lead to the "BAT" terminal, discarded the looped 14ga brown/yellow leads (actually left them in the plug for the Lucas unit), connected the brown lead to the "FLD" terminal, and sealed the other brown/yellow lead with heat shrink. I also connected the black ground lead the the "grn" terminal for good measure.
I reconnected the battery and turned on the ignition switch, the ignition light did not come on (?), and when I started the car the amp gauge pegged out of site on the '+' side. While the car was at fast idle (1300rpm) I took a digital VOM and checked the voltage output of the alternator - 18.9 volts. Then I checked the voltage at the "FLD" terminal - 15.9 volts @ 1300 rpm. Mind you the amp guage is still pegged.
I shut the car down and felt of the "BAT" lead wire from the alternator, to my suprise it was not even very warm - I just knew I was going to be running for the fire extinguisher.
So now you have the background....what did I do wrong?
Why didn't the ignition light come on when I turned the ingition key to the 'on' position? (btw-the oil pressure light did illuminate)
Why did the amp guage peg to the '+' side and stay there?
Is 18.9 volts a normal output for a 55amp alternator? or can the internal regulator be bad?
Does the 15.9 volts at the "FLD" terminal tell me anything?
Any help will be greatly appreciated
I picked up a Motorcraft unit and with a little work got it mounted nice and straight. No problem really, just a little boss grinding here and there and another adjustment arm from an parts store and walaa, modern alternator installed.
Here is where it gets dicey, I connected the 10ga. brown/yellow lead to the "BAT" terminal, discarded the looped 14ga brown/yellow leads (actually left them in the plug for the Lucas unit), connected the brown lead to the "FLD" terminal, and sealed the other brown/yellow lead with heat shrink. I also connected the black ground lead the the "grn" terminal for good measure.
I reconnected the battery and turned on the ignition switch, the ignition light did not come on (?), and when I started the car the amp gauge pegged out of site on the '+' side. While the car was at fast idle (1300rpm) I took a digital VOM and checked the voltage output of the alternator - 18.9 volts. Then I checked the voltage at the "FLD" terminal - 15.9 volts @ 1300 rpm. Mind you the amp guage is still pegged.
I shut the car down and felt of the "BAT" lead wire from the alternator, to my suprise it was not even very warm - I just knew I was going to be running for the fire extinguisher.
So now you have the background....what did I do wrong?
Why didn't the ignition light come on when I turned the ingition key to the 'on' position? (btw-the oil pressure light did illuminate)
Why did the amp guage peg to the '+' side and stay there?
Is 18.9 volts a normal output for a 55amp alternator? or can the internal regulator be bad?
Does the 15.9 volts at the "FLD" terminal tell me anything?
Any help will be greatly appreciated
Hey Guest!