• Hey Guest!
    British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!

    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)

General Tech Alternator Conversion

KVH

Obi Wan
Silver
Offline
I’m having a few difficulties installing an alternator conversion kit. I’m convinced the materials are good, but I’m addressing fitment.

The instructions contain a “warning“ that it may be necessary to file down the rear flats of the alternator to achieve alignment. I took about 3/32 from an inch off the main rear flat, but I still can’t achieve proper fitment. It appears that the little shoulder ridge of my front engine plate is interfering with the alternator case, but only slightly. I can file it.

I’m just curious whether others have had this issue and whether it would be typical to have to file as much as 3/16 of an inch off that main rear flat on the alternator?
 
I put a GM alternator, 7127, (10SI?) on my 1960 TR-3a. I had to file a lot off the case and change the alternator adjusting bracket. I got a bracket off a Jag XJ6. Its worked fine for 21 years.

What alternator kit do you have and car?

Good luck, Roy
 
Tr4A and kit from British Wiring. I just got it installed finally. And I did have to file that rear flat down about 3/16 maybe a bit more. I also had to grind down that curved adjusting bracket.
 
Back
Top