• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Alternate "basic" transportation...

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
I've been eye balling the market from a distance for a while now. I'm still not very serious about buying a new car either, but this one caught my eye. The 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer (NOT the Evolution model). It's one sharp looking car, and fits into the "basic transportation" bill easily. Even the base model is 'alright' on apointments, IMO. I've read that they're considering a hatch version to debut next year. I figure if I get a base model then I won't have any qualms about plopping an engine block in the trunk to go to a machine shop if I ever need to.

https://www.lancerproject.com/lancer/ (Flash based site)

Camshaft

Jedi Knight
I drove one, the steering response is excellent, and you almost don't notice that it has power steering...but the engine is not responsive at all with the automatic. However, my ideal daily driver in this class would be a Honda Fit Sport 5-speed. I've driven them all, from the Lancer to the Versa, and the Fit wins, hands down, no questions asked. It's fun and slightly "LBC-ish," too.

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/iagree.gif MGB GT makes a very practical hauler. I used mine to cart a rather large Labrador around with me, hauling groceries, you name it..........more distinctive than a modern, as well.

Or a GT6.........I know it's a 'Rumph, but still.....

Country flag
Steve said:
I used mine to cart a rather large Labrador around with me, hauling groceries, .....

A Labrador and groceries... a marriage made in heaven. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

I bet only one of the two made it home.... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

lawguy

Jedi Knight
I've got a line on an old VW Rabbit diesel...now that's basic transportation. I'm a patient man...so it may be perfect for me.

OP
Nunyas

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
Camshaft said:
I drove one, the steering response is excellent, and you almost don't notice that it has power steering...but the engine is not responsive at all with the automatic. However, my ideal daily driver in this class would be a Honda Fit Sport 5-speed. I've driven them all, from the Lancer to the Versa, and the Fit wins, hands down, no questions asked. It's fun and slightly "LBC-ish," too.

I'm not a big fan of CVT in use. I like the technology and the ideas that lead to them being employed, but I'll never buy a car that has a CVT, and it's highly unlikely that I'll ever buy a car with any other form of automatic transmission either.

A person in my office drives a Fit. An interesting looking car, but it's too tall for my tastes.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Steve_S said:
GT6's are neat-looking, but not much for cargo room. Or for passenger room for that matter!
I used to get three people in my GT6 on a semi-regular basis. Always seemed to be the same guy. He was the shortest, and the one we liked to kick around the most.

Steve_S

Yoda
LOL! I don't mean you, I just mean it's a comparable scenario. Three in a GT6 is about the same as 23 in a phone booth, right? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
I hear of dealers charging thousands over MSRP for the Fit....is that still the case?

Incidentally, Larador and groceries were never in the GT together..... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Someplace I have a photo of FOUR of us in an MGB with a 12 foot Christmas tree hangin' out the back. T'was with th' top down, tho. Winter in western PA, but we were young an' stoopid back then... it *was* th' '60's, y'see. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Dr. E,

I'm assuming that you're a lot smarter now?

- Doug

OP
Nunyas

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
me ma n pa would stuff me and sis on the package shelf of their B back in the 80's. Family of 4 blasting down the FL highways in a B at 70MPH.

bugimike

Yoda
I grew up in the little "box" behind the seats in a TD!!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif

Back to the Mitsubishi Lancer, though, my wife and I just test-drove one this past week-end while car-shopping (wound up with a Pontiac G6 butr that's another story!) and I was REALLY impressed with the Lancer. High marks in just about every category!! The engine was a bit "buzzy" though and given the comparatives, my all-around bang for the buck would go to the Scion TC!!!(less hauling room though!!) /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Camshaft

Jedi Knight
Nunyas said:
Camshaft said:

I'm not a big fan of CVT in use. I like the technology and the ideas that lead to them being employed, but I'll never buy a car that has a CVT, and it's highly unlikely that I'll ever buy a car with any other form of automatic transmission either.

A person in my office drives a Fit. An interesting looking car, but it's too tall for my tastes.

Forget the CVT Fit. I'm talking about the the 5-speed, stick-between-the-buckets Fit. It may look tall but it handles very well. The car has an incredibly low CG. At least *try* driving one. Puh-leeeeze?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
*snork*

Cam! You're askin' a former Marine with a penchant for -control- to go an' fling around a vehicle with th' performance spec's and complexity of fly-by-wire... Somehow I think that may work in the short-term, but... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif