• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Alternate alternator

SD Bugeye

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
So back about ... 11years ago on a trip the alternator from Lucidus Lucas died after being in the car for about a month.
Went to NAPA bought a single wire AC Delco unit for a Monte Carlo didn't go any faster but it has worked religiously and have never given it much thought until a friend was looking in the engine bay and said it looked totally out of place being half the size of the engine.

I was looking for a new one for the elcamino I have as it is weak gen light is just starting to glow .
found one on amazon then an ad popped up for a single wire small form from DB electrical.
Db Electrical And0212. 66 bucks bought it for the the bugeye.
And will put the beast in the ElCamino.
So new project it tiny 5lbs. Into the sprite @35-40 amp. Plenty.
have to make a trip to Canada but will share on the install when I get back

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag

nomad

Yoda
Nice find SD Bugeye...The Kubota alternator has been brought up before. I particularly like the small skeleton framed alternator's...I'm running one off a Ford Festiva in my Datsun engined Midget. They are all hooked up about the same so what ever works.

Kurt

OP
SD Bugeye

SD Bugeye

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Ok alternator showed up today.
packaged better than some wine I have ordered
weighs in at about 5lbs
nice finish on the case looks good
in the box is the test sheet sort of like a grocery recept with perforated side holes tractor feed printer
it has the actual test rpm =amps results and a graph of the run.
i have never bought an alternator that has come with this info sheet before
14.29 volts 54 amps peek @ 5,000 rpm
14.25 volts 14 amps @ 1500 rpm
regulator turn on 1230 rpm
regulator active 523
max watts 712
so its 5 degrees I'm waiting till I get back from Winnipeg before I do anything with it.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
And is this a Kunitz alternator? Price is right. Need to figure out how to hook up a one wire alternator to IGN lamp on my Speedhut Tach. I may need to go 3 wire.

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
You can't wire an ignition lamp with a true 1 wire; you need to wire a volt meter if you want any feedback as to what it's doing.

And is this a Kunitz alternator? Price is right. Need to figure out how to hook up a one wire alternator to IGN lamp on my Speedhut Tach. I may need to go 3 wire.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
All I want is to be able to turn on the IGN lamp if things go awry. Early warning before overheating occurs.

nomad

Yoda
All I want is to be able to turn on the IGN lamp if things go awry. Early warning before overheating occurs.

I think you are out of luck, Jim. That is the reason I avoid the one wire. First one I encountered I have on a tractor with a ammeter.

Kurt

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Well then I'll go three wire or whatever just so I can get the IGN lamp to work.

Country flag
Jim, I'm not an electronics guru, but I would think it would be a rather simple circuit with few components to make a box to turn on a lamp when voltage is imbalanced. There may already be such a thing in the street rod world. I'll check my catalogs.

OP
SD Bugeye

SD Bugeye

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Wiring for my new alternator to idiot light
Looks easy enough I'll let you know the cut in and out voltage in run and if it lights up brite as expected with the ingnition on not running.
the cut in - out rpm is 523 but crank pulley is way bigger so not sure if I can coex to run at a low enough speed to cut out the charge point
may just loosen slip the belt?
wait and see.

IMG_0266.jpgIMG_0265.GIF

I did this years ago on my MGB... used a early 90's Saturn alternator. About 90 or 110 amp, a little shorter than the Lucas one, and the only mod needed was to clock the case so the brackets lined up.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Curious to see if this works. That is the diagram I was looking for. What is the part # for this alternator from this site?

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks for the update. I see how the circuit works I do believe. Idiot light can get power from battery if alternator cross out or belt bread. Don't you need a diode in the to prevent Voltage going back to alternator from fuseblock ? Just let me know if it works . Thanks .

OP
SD Bugeye

SD Bugeye

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
So all done .
took it for a spin bit nippy out but dry and no snow or ice!
a rare ocasion here this time of year.
So it charges,ing. light comes on, can't call it GEN anymore
and goes out.
and does look like an after market turbo strap to the eng. like the delco remy 70 's alternation did.
had to a little milling on th emoting flange to get the pulleys center to center correct but not a huge deal.
before picture

Attachments

• IMG_0537.jpg
    IMG_0537.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 88
OP
SD Bugeye

SD Bugeye

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
IMG_0550.jpg
After picture
whew like it much better.
why did I not do this years ago..

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
And here is why I have been asking. A little more bling from Speedhut arrived today. This artwork is now available. Speedhut GPS Speedo, eliminates the need for a conversion speedo drive wit my Datsun 201 5 Speed. The Matching Tach featuring an Ignition Lamp supports a 3 Wire Alternator. Will wire so RED IGN lamp glows if I lose the fan belt or Alternator. It took 2 1/2 months to get this Custom Austin Healey Script Artwork from Speedhut. a subtle piece of Bugsy IV's Build, but I think the wait was worth it. These will be on the shelf for a bit awaiting new Wiring Harness and Alternator. But just like the Creative Spridgets Rear Disc Brake Brackets, a bit of bling that is a thing of beauty. View attachment 46797View attachment 46798