• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Alert - TR-3A lower wishbone seals - poor quality

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
During re-assembly of the 3A front suspension, we have identified a potential problem. The quality of the rubber seals used to keep debris out of the rear wishbone bush/shaft is very poor. We obtained the re-build kits from one of the big 3. So, we assumed that the parts were reasonably new and of decent quality. But, if you look closely at the photos (sorry for the poor quality) you will see that the rubber seal is almost totally perished. Who knows how long these seals would have lasted?

wishbone-lower.jpg

DSC00778.jpg

DSC00779.jpg

This seal is the only barrier to dirt and other debris from finding its way into the bushing/shaft and damaging the shaft surface. Unlike the front of the wishbone, which has grease fittings on either side of the trunnion, the rear arrangement uses a nylon bushing and steel sleeve dry fit (no grease intended). At least the grease will keep dirt out of the shaft/bushing in the front.
Perhaps this is a well known problem on your side of the pond. But, not knowing for sure, I thought I would send off this alert.
Our solution will be to fit custom seals made from black nylon (cut from tubing of the proper ID and wall thickness). I'll send a follow up post when we finish.

Cheers

SCguy

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Those seals fell apart on my early TR4 front end after my car just sat for a few years. I replaced them with new ones, but as with all replacement rubber bits I pretty much will assume that they will dry rot, crack and fall off in short order. On my TR8 I replaced the rubber strut boots with US made (Napa) replacement boots because of all the problems with aftermarket british car rubber.

billspit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I bought a front end rebuild kit for my old TR3 from the one of the big three back in the 1980s. I put the kit in and the same seals cracked and fell off within one year. The car had not even been driven. I called the seller and got a poor response. Basically, they said that was the best there was! The kit was manufactured by QH. The seal between the upright and bottom trunnion wasn't much better.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
D Wanted TR6 hardtop fraud/scam ALERT Triumph Classifieds 5
NutmegCT no alert emails? FORUM Navigation Questions 4
nichola TR6 Re-purpose alert Triumph 0
M TR2/3/3A Scam Alert 57 TR3 Triumph 2
HealeyRick Safely Alert - Midget/Spridget Rear Brakes Spridgets 2
trrdster2000 TR6 TR6 Wheeler Dealer Alert Triumph 16
D Jaguar E-types [2] stolen alert Jaguar 1
G Bargain Hunter alert ! ! Triumph 4
T Wedge TR7 alert Triumph 4
SkinnedKnuckles Purolator Fuel Filter Alert, I guess. Triumph 5
davester craigslist alert - bugeye original hardtop Spridgets 0
T Wedge Wedge deal alert - 1976 FHC project Triumph 7
Cottontop ALERT ! Healeys Return to Bonneville. Austin Healey 0
Cottontop ALERT ! Healeys Return to Bonneville Speed Runs Austin Healey 23
B HEAVY WEATHER ALERT!! Tyler,Texas Regionals Triumph 2
amcboy Cheapskate alert... Triumph 0
G MG Parts Alert-NFI MG 0
P ALERT: MG Parts Stolen in Detroit! MG 4
A Radiator cap alert - check yours Austin Healey 5
kodanja Pretty Girl Alert! Triumph 31
Y Stupid Question Alert: Using a Jack on the Healey Austin Healey 4
A MGB MGB Magazine alert MG 5
Racer-X- Metalastik Lower wishbone bushings and upper fulcrum pin bushings Other British Cars 6
S TR2/3/3A lower small brass bushing Triumph 13
S TR2/3/3A steel bushings for the lower Arms Triumph 10
newmexTR3 TR2/3/3A How to remove thrust washer from lower wishbone & trunion Triumph 7
Endoscaper TR2/3/3A Lower Front Suspension Overhaul Triumph 2
R TR6 Lower A-arm trunnion bushings Triumph 18
edkap2002 TR6 lower radiator hose fitting Triumph 2
K TR2/3/3A Advise on previously botched front end lower fulcrum support bracket. Triumph 5
B Wanted 100-6 or early 3000 upper and lower grille opening pieces Austin Healey Classifieds 1
Jim_Gruber PS Steering Rack Lower Bracket Needed - Some DA over torqued and snapped it in half Spridgets 9
B TR2/3/3A lower wishbone installation Triumph 5
L TR2/3/3A Bent lower wishbone arms Triumph 6
K TR2/3/3A Front suspension inner Lower wishbone bush area? Triumph 3
KVH TR4/4A Should I Cut the Lower Windshield Gasket Triumph 2
KVH TR4/4A Lower Control Arm Front Pivot Bolt Triumph 9
KVH General TR Pressing in the Lower Control Arm Bushing Triumph 6
C TR6 Lower A-arms Triumph 8
wangdango BJ8 lower radiator hose! Austin Healey 2
W TR2/3/3A Tell me there is a trick to removing lower control arm pin... Triumph 45
I General TR Lower wishbone arm attachment bracket advice needed Triumph 8
Rut TR4/4A Lower fulcrum brackets Triumph 3
M TR2/3/3A FRONT SUSPENSION: Rusted lower control arm fulcrum Triumph 17
Tr3aguy TR2/3/3A Lower control arm question Triumph 2
aero3113 100 lower windshield seal Austin Healey 4
RCarr BN1 Lower Control Arms Austin Healey 0
C BN1 sitting lower at left rear - I'm told that's normal - really? Austin Healey 13
K TR2/3/3A The "air vent"on the lower part of the front apron below the grille.... Triumph 5
Jeepster Lower wishbone bush replacement. Austin Healey 33