• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Air Filters

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
The carbs on my '73 GT each have a round air filter canister. I need to replace the filter papers ... but am having trouble finding anything suitable.

The canisters are about 6" in diameter, and about 2" in height. Is this a standard size?

Here's a photo:

258228215_d7c3e05216.jpg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Those are aftermarket units. You may want to consider replacing them with K&N so you could find elements more easily.

A

aerog

I don't remember why I didn't go with K&N, I think I had clearance issues or something - it's been awhile. Anyway, I ended up using chrome filter assemblies and foam filters I got from Victoria British, they look pretty similar. Maybe that's another alternative for you.

mgb0305-5.jpg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I think the "pancake" filters Julian has are older units with a paper corrugated insert. They were sold as a "unit" and replaced as such. I've cobbled standard filters to fit but it'd be better to go with K&N's. The foam style tend to deteriorate.

Steve_S

Yoda
They look the same size as MGA filters. You may want to try MGA elements. If you're in my area feel free to try mine.

A

aerog

Looking at my picture, I'm pretty sure I measured the K&N and decided it would bind with the brake m/c.

I haven't had any problems with the foam, but I don't drive the car all that much either. The stuff seems to be the same as the foam filters made for my Cessna.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
The offset round K&N's are designed to fit in the area bewteen the carb & brake booster

D

Deleted member 3577

Next......You NEED some stub stacks inside the filters to get that extra 0.003 hp /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif
Billet%20Stub%20Stacks.JPG

https://www.aptfast.com/

OP
jjbunn

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
Whoa, those K&N filters are pricey /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Over on the Rennlist 911 forum, there is a lot of doubt about the claimed extra bhp from fitting K&N. I had one in my 964, but replaced it with the stock paper filter. Some even say that the K&N let through too much crud. It's a hotly debated topic, and you need to wear flame retardent suit if you offer an opinion /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I had a devil of a game prying the covers off the filters ... and inside there was a lot of glue holding the concertina filter paper in place, so I can believe they were sold as a complete unit.

Not sure what to do, really. I don't want to pay K&N prices at this stage ... maybe once I get the car really nice I could justify it. But right now I just want to get it operating correctly.

OP
jjbunn

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
[ QUOTE ]
I don't remember why I didn't go with K&N, I think I had clearance issues or something - it's been awhile. Anyway, I ended up using chrome filter assemblies and foam filters I got from Victoria British, they look pretty similar. Maybe that's another alternative for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

That looks superb! Do you have a reference for the foam filters you used? Thanks!

Steve_S

Yoda
I couldn't find a replacement element for my TC, so I used pond filter media. Once it gets oily, it works fine! Of course the proper filter material would be better...

R6MGS

Yoda
The ones aerog has on his car are pretty common, although I don't think they are available from MOSS for the B...Unless MGA filters fit? I'd give Ebay a try, I got a set of Stellings and Hellings filters for my TC for like 20 bucks.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
MGA filters wil work on an MGB....Stellings & Hellings are very restrictive.

R6MGS

Yoda
Plus Stelling and Hellings don't look right on an MGB. Since I am missing the factory air cleaner assembly for the TC I got a set of them for now, until I can locate the correct assembly.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
there was a person on these boards that made 'custom' air filters complete with emblazoned logo of choice (MG, Volvo, Healey, etc.), 2 different depths, and integral velocity stacks. His filters used dual layer foam. He had a link to his website in the supporting and a banner that rotated in and out at the top of this site. It seems to have gotten lost in the move. I wish I was at home right now, because I think I book marked his site... I can't recall the URL ATM.

It was a really sharp looking product.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
that's the place... still planning to get me one of those filters for my HS6 when I rebuild it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

nathandarby67

I almost went with the pretty chrome "MG" crested filters for my midget last week, but decided against it for exactly this reason. I was afraid I would never be able to find replacement paper inserts. Moss sure doesn't list any, I guess they want you to buy a new pair of $45 chrome pieces when the paper gets dirty. I ended up staying with the stock filter housings for now, but would like to eventually switch to a nice chrome pair.

Has anyone ever used the chrome mesh-style filters? I like the look of those too. They have a washable foam element, but I have heard that foam element filters do a poor job of filtration compared to paper, and have been afraid to use them.