• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Ain't it the truth

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
one bolt.jpg

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
That is why the shops cannot use flat rate on a car, truck, etc., that is 10 or more years old.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Used to tell a client when asked: "How much?"
"Well, the crystal ball is missing, so..."

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Every job of mine turns into an ordeal.
MG TD transmission rebuild - book didn't say that there were 24 steel balls in there - spring loaded. B-o-i-n-g. All over the cellar floor.
Adjusting TD valves - broke off the adjustor.
Corvair - cross-threaded a spark plug. Hello, Helicoil.
1934 Ford - installing .lowering spring shackle but for got to put jack under the transverse spring. End of spring let loose and I was lucky it didn't trap my left hand underneath. Night was also falling. Somehow I wedged a small jack underneath and raised the spring high enough to attach the shackle.
Restoring a TD - try removing rusted bolts holding the fenders. I didn't have any special tools - just wrenches, hammer and chisels. Took hours in an unheated garage.
There were more.

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
Goes for anything. Bought a Class B RV which lookd decent, ran good and quiet. Got home and started on it, drawers broke, found broken exhaust studs on exhaust, brake caliper locked up when I got home. Found some leaks, started a list of 60 things to do, down to 12. Might get to use it this year, baring Covid.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
A photography friend of mine, lady in Alexandria VA, and her husband just bought an RV from a dealer in Iowa. This was about 2 weeks ago.
They flew there to pick it up and made it about 300 miles when the rear axel gave out and they almost had a catastrophic crash.

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
I knew the rear had a leak, but I did not look close at the tires. He said the fronts were good but i saw cracks parallel to the tread. I aired all tires to spec., drove it home, then looked closer at the tires. The rear had slits parallel to the rim over 1/4" wide to the cords on the inside of the tires. Glad it was only 35 miles and I stayed under the interstate speed limit. New ties the next week. I have to start looking closer and not believe anybody. Yeah, i work on cars but the mind doesn't always engage when looking for toys.