• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

AH3000. Heating up

Cooperman

Hi. I have recently got my Healey 3000 mk1 on the road after a partial rebuild. When driving it seems to get quite hot. It runs the old original gauge and that seems to fluctuate around 190 deg when driving but when parked up and the engine is turned off the gauge rises to the max. When started again it does start to fall again. Is this usual?
I've only been running the car gently on a few short runs thus far to get used to it but it does seem to get quite hot. I.e. You can only touch the top hose momentarily before it will burn you.
Thanks Richard

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
If you have a 190F thermostat, it will run at about 190F.

When you shut it off, cooling ability is diminished because there is no pumping of coolant nor a fan blowing air over the radiator. Hot water rises in comparison to colder water, so the hot water rises to the top of the cooling system where the thermostat is located. So the thermostat reads higher.

Healeys tend to run hot anyway.

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
...Healeys tend to run hot anyway.

In the UK I would wonder if there's a problem with the gauges.

I tested my gauge with an infra-red laser thermometer and two cooking thermometers. Removed the thermostat, started cold engine, inserted cooking thermometers and watched the temps compared to the gauge. My gauge was 20 degrees high according to the other thermometers. Therefore I removed the needle and repositioned it at the correct temperature.
My typical temps went down from 190s to 175+. This with my 180 degree sleeved thermostat.

These gauges can evidently get tweaked by overheating.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
HI:

In the UK I would suspect a cooling problem:
Bad Thermostat
Slipping fan belt
Partially blocked Radiator
Coolent passages in the block partially blocked-ETC

OP
C

Cooperman

Hi. Took the car for another run this evening, approx 15 miles and sure enough it edged up to around 200. (And higher when not moving)
The top of the rad is extremely hot, can only just touch it, and the bottom stone cold... Literally!
it has new rad, pump, hoses thermostat, the lot. Any suggestions please.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
it has new rad, pump, hoses thermostat, the lot. Any suggestions please.

Move House-:jester::devilgrin:

bdcvg

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
X 2 on that , hot at the top and cool on the bottom means no coolant flow. Bad stat or blocked radiator.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
i
Move House-:jester::devilgrin:

Even easier, tape over the face of the gauge and enjoy the ride. If you have a serious overheating problem it will evidence itself by radiator boiling over--otherwise your car simply runs hot as do many Healeys.

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Just to be clear, a thermostat does not regulate the running temperature of the engine. It only controls the temperature at which water is allowed to flow through the radiator. It may be that the old thermostat was permanently closed or nearly closed thus reducing flow.