• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

AH video on YouTube

HealeyPassion

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Guys,

So it sounds easy if you say it fast "I'm going to shoot a video of my Austin Healey." And, I'm using a very "powerful video editing program"....translated.... very complex/complicated.

This is my second video, the first one was of my friend, Mike Fuchs' Sunbeam Alpine, which he is selling. Mine is also for sale, which is why I initially decided to do a video... to enhance the marketing effort. Turns out the project has become another hobby. Parts of this were shot with up to 4 GoPros at one time.

Takes a bit over 10 minutes.

I'm getting better, but there is certainly lots of room for improvement.

Any constructive suggestions for improvement are welcome.

Steve

MAF-Concours2013 23 DDLs.jpg

healeyblue

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Great video and even nicer car. Looks like it runs very well. Can't see why you would want to sell it but good luck with the sale. The next owner will be very satisfied.
Jim

CLEAH

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Steve, great video of an even greater car. I so love the exhaust note. Any of us who have followed your work on this unique car will be wondering why you are parting with it, but best of luck with the sale.

OP
HealeyPassion

HealeyPassion

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Jim & Hugh,
Why would I sell it? Well, I bought another 1963 BJ7 so I want to start my next project. It's a 2 owner car that has almost no rust. I haven't decided exactly what to do with it. While it is all original, it does need a full refresh... should be fun.

My Works Rally car is a beautifully driving car. The emphasis in the build was to make it as accurate a tribute car as possible (side vents matched a rubbing I took off Pat Moss's winning Healey), but with subtle upgrades to make it into a very comfortable long legged cruiser. The efi starts fast everytime with very crisp throttle response and the 5 speed is matched to 3.54 rear gears for comfortable 75 mph cruising.

That said, I love the whole build process. I've met extremely talented guys during this build that were a ball to work with. It's time to let someone else enjoy this one and for me to build another Healey.

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited:
OP
HealeyPassion

HealeyPassion

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
rjc157,
By homepage do you mean the link to my website listed at the bottom of post (https://stevesaustinhealey.com)? Unfortunately, the website is currently down for maintenance.... sorry. Please send me an email if you'd like details.

Thanks,
Steve

OP
HealeyPassion

HealeyPassion

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks to all for the kind reviews.

Regarding the sound: The muffler is a stock Moss replacement, the difference is in the headers. I got Kirk headers, which I liked but I didn't like how the tube 1 looped around the motor mount and had a new tube bend for cylinder 1 (we also redid cylinder 2 pipe to better fit with the revised cylinder 1 pipe) so it was one piece and not a slip joint around the motor mount. Then we removed the old school collectors that come with the Kirk headers and put on Burns collectors (these were custom made for me) which are state of the art merge collectors, a custom Burns X pipe, and blended the whole thing together into a work of art (Maxinnovation did the work). Then the entire header/exhaust system was ceramic coated inside and out.... lowers external temperatures from 140-170 degrees.

Cheers,
Steve

judow

Darth Vader - R.I.P
Nice video. Very nice car. I too love the sound of the exhaust. Doubt you will have any problem selling it. Good luck on your next project.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Since this car isn't for the purists It's a great build what do you guys think it will sell for

I have a figure in mind what I think it's worth, but in fairness to Steve I think we should let him set his own price before we speculate about it. If I were selling it I'd run it through the auction on Bring A Trailer. Lots of high dollar people follow that site and one can set a reserve. I think this car needs to have the right person that can appreciate what went in to it to get the best price. With that video linked to the auction page, Steve's build site and its Bullitt heritage, I think this car might surprise a lot of folks in what it could bring.

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
I have a figure in mind what I think it's worth, but in fairness to Steve I think we should let him set his own price before we speculate about it. If I were selling it I'd run it through the auction on Bring A Trailer. Lots of high dollar people follow that site and one can set a reserve. I think this car needs to have the right person that can appreciate what went in to it to get the best price. With that video linked to the auction page, Steve's build site and its Bullitt heritage, I think this car might surprise a lot of folks in what it could bring.
He has posted on FB Austin Healey Owners with another video with the price at $130k with a lot more info.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
... the price at $130k with a lot more info.
Well, that's out of my league. I tried the "It would be so much more comfortable for you with the air conditioning and roll-up windows" on my better half, but she just laughed and asked if she was on title with the BN4. She countered with: "Just think how much better it would reflect on you if I showed up in that gorgeous Talbot's blouse that I didn't I should spend the money the money on." Darn!

Extremely nice car!! I've seen it in person. It's on my list of most desirable!

OP
HealeyPassion

HealeyPassion

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Guys,
Well, I didn’t mean to high jack this forum string by making it a sales tool.

I was/am quite excited to have finished my AH video and just wanted to share it. That said, it seems I probably should address the sale and cost since that has come up a few times in this string.

So, yes, my car isn’t for a “purist”… if that means someone that wants a completely stock AH with all the foibles associated with these lovely cars. I’ve owned 3 big Healeys, now 4,and my take was a bit different from the average restorer. I fell in love with the Works Rally cars some14 years ago when I saw Pat Moss’s car at JME’s shop in Leamington Spa,UK. So I decided a tribute car would be my next effort. Since Works cars were never “stock” (or for purists) and the variations evolved over the years they were competing. So, what if that evolution had continued to present day? I submit to you, my evolved Works Rally Tribute. I did not want to loose the look and feel of a vintage Works rally car so technology needed to be hidden as much as possible, but I wanted it to be a more of a long legged touring version. For those of you that have done a full rotisserie restoration, you know the cost can be significant. Then add on the custom work required to bring the car up to works rally specifications (carb. access panel, 2 tire boot, side vents, hardtop, works fuel tank, rollbar, etc.) and development costs for EFI, integrated A/C, amazing sound system, suspension improvements for handling and ride quality.… you get the idea. Why EFI? I live in the Colorado with varying altitudes, the EFI adjusts to the altitude and changing conditions.... and it's super reliable. So, IF this car is your idea of what you want and you go to contract a reputable builder to deliver this to you, then you will quickly find that $130K is actually a bargain (do the math on over 3,000 hrs without parts). Now, if you’re a purist, most likely none of this will matter to you…. I get that… I love stock Healeys too.

My Healey drives beautifully, starts 1
[SUP]st[/SUP]time after weeks of sitting, can cruise at 75 mph with windows up in complete comfort or, find a country road, roll the windows down, turn off the stereo and pretend your Timo Makinen… it’s all good. You don’t want any of that… okay, that’s why we have choices.

While I love my car, I really love the build process and I've got a "new" 1963 Austin Healey that I want to start on.... so it's time to let someone else enjoy this. It's been on 3 magazine covers, 3 feature articles one of which was Classic Motor Sports, been on TV season 1 episode 11 of Magnificent Motorcars and received plenty of awards. Oh, and, yes, as has been mentioned, it was seen in Bullitt (I personally don't put much value on that, but there you go).

I hope this helps.... please note, not trying or wanting to start a big discussion on stock vs. modified cars... I'm a car guy that loves them all.

Cheers,
Steve

OP
HealeyPassion

HealeyPassion

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks to all that have provided feedback on the video... here and on private messages. As I said at the first post, I've learned a lot working with this video editing program but there is more I can do to improve upon them. It's a hobby that goes well with my automotive passion!

Steve