• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

AH 3000 gear reduction starter

davidb

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Afternoon gents,

I am considering the purchase of one of these gear reduction starters. I was reading an article recently about the ones from Gustafson (altho they are available from Moss and other suppliers) and the comments were quite positive. Since one of my many achilles heels is automotive electronics, do they bolt on directly, and and are the electrics simple to hook up? And being honest and objective, is it really worth the switch?

In passing, I often marvel at the technical capabilities of many of the BCF contributors and wish I had their understanding of how things work. I'm lucky to get the sparkplugs back in the right order.

Anyhow, any comments would be welcome.

With thanks,
DB

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Hey David
Yep direct bolt on wire it up and your done and the car starts way better as it turns it so much faster .

Country flag
I put one on my car some years back, and when I tried it for the first time, the engine started up so fast it scared the help out of me; I immediately switched it off! When I got gone laughing at myself, I restarted the engine, and I'm still amazed by it each time I crank it over.

Previously, my car would struggle to crank, even though the battery was fully charged; something about the field coils breaking down, was what I was told by an old starter/alternator rebuilder that tested the case/coils and armature independently of each other (like in pieces).

So yes, works great, not overly difficult to connect (it has it's own solenoid, so the existing one can be eliminated, or bypassed, your choice). On mine, it was required to rotate the starter X-number of degrees on the adapter (plenty of pre-drilled holes, presumably to fit multiple applications) but even that was clearly illustrated in the instructions. Maybe the ones from Moss are already "clocked" specific for their intended applications, and this step is skipped?

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
.... Maybe the ones from Moss are already "clocked" specific for their intended applications, and this step is skipped?

MossTV has a video showing that the starter comes in a generic position on its mount and how to rotate it to a different position for each application.

OP
davidb

davidb

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Thanks so much to all for your comments, guys. They were very helpful, and this now seems like a worthwhile and do-able upgrade given my limited talents (altho my wife claims I make a killer guacamole). I'm sold.

Cheers and regards

DB

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
You will have to make the decision to dispense with your existing solenoid relay and use the one built into the starter or keep the old one for the sake of appearance. I say chuck it--one less Lucas component to fail.

OP
davidb

davidb

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Thanks Michael - wasn't aware of that.

In passing I noted in a recent peek thru the eBay Healey stuff (I need to up my medication) that someone is asking $250 k for a Healey 100 Lemans. Must be comforting since I see one among your stable of eye candy.

Cheers

DB

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I would certainly take $200K for my car so perhaps I should contact the seller and tell that he can buy mine and make a quick $50K.

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Although the starter just bolts on it is not actually that simple to do it as the lower bolt is difficult to access. You really need to be able to get under the car. Sounds like you probably don't have the equipment in which case I'd take it to a mechanic. It's a quick job for them.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Sounds like if you go this route you loose the little button on back of the original solenoid
which I like when tuning the engine or timing it.-???

Handy too if normal start system fails -Push button /Key

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
No you could just leave it in place and have both Solenoids engage with the starter circuit wiring and you would still have the "manual override " if you particularly wanted it ,but you would need an additional jumper wire to engage the starter solenoid on the starter when using the manual push button .

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yeah Healey Nut

I was hoping that could be done--Thanks

user-offline.png

SideShifter Tri-Carb

Country flag
I used locktite on the bolts connecting the adapter to the starter. I had heard stories of those bolts coming loose from previous installations. I was not as pleased with having the connections to the starter near the engine block. I couldn't make the starter fit any better. I got over all of that after I heard it working. Still miss the sound of the Lucas, just a little.

why

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I shared Randy's experience, first time I turned key I immediately shut it off, broke into an OMG now what is wrong sweat, Several years later still a bit of same reaction. I bought one from guy in New England. Bolts right on and wires right in, complete instructions. On my Super 7, we worked together and he made an adaptor, just wonderful, now have 2X more years on battery than ever before. Wish putting one on the Eype wasn't so nightmarish or I would convert it as well. Spraying starting fluid on Etype major struggle, so just keep battery on fresh charge. My lower back says it is the second greatest mod next to spin-on oil filter.
Jay '65 3000