• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Advice asked not starting after 2 years

hama61

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Hello,

Today after a period of almost 2 years not using the Healey. I installed a new battery and much to my surprise and disappontment the car didn't come to life. Before she always started after the ticking of the fuel pump stopped with one push on the button.

The fuelpump does currently not tic at all and did I notice as well, that some of the electrics doesn't work either. The left turn works the right turn however each time only once but assume more will follow after such a long time of not using.

Harry

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Just because the battery is new does not mean it is good. Could be low on fluids or not properly charged.

Country flag
I don't know what the climate is like where you are, but the contact points (inside the distributor) could have a layer of oxidation on them, preventing the magnetic field collapse that allows the coil to create the spark.

Prior to starting, I would go through all the procedures that a normal tune-up would include, even if just refurbishing the plugs and points. A little dribble of oil (up to an once) down each cylinder wouldn't hurt, and you could rotate the engine by hand to distribute it (if you hit the starter button with the plugs out, make sure you put rags over the openings, or there'll be oil everywhere).

I'd give the fuel pump a couple good raps with a mallet, and see if that doen's bring it back to life. It too make need a tune up, cleaning its contact points.

I would expect that whatever gas was in the tank has lost most of its charge too, so best results of attempting to start the engine would be acheived with some fresh gasoline.

BoyRacer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
My first suggestion to to check your grounds. If they are not tight, all kinds of strange things can happen. The most difficult ground strap to check is the engine to chassis ground on the right lower side of the rear engine plate. It is about 6 inches long. Sometimes these straps get oil soaked and can loosen.

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Randy Forbes said:
I don't know what the climate is like where you are, but the contact points (inside the distributor) could have a layer of oxidation on them, preventing the magnetic field collapse that allows the coil to create the spark.

Prior to starting, I would go through all the procedures that a normal tune-up would include, even if just refurbishing the plugs and points. A little dribble of oil (up to an once) down each cylinder wouldn't hurt, and you could rotate the engine by hand to distribute it (if you hit the starter button with the plugs out, make sure you put rags over the openings, or there'll be oil everywhere).

I'd give the fuel pump a couple good raps with a mallet, and see if that doen's bring it back to life. It too make need a tune up, cleaning its contact points.

I would expect that whatever gas was in the tank has lost most of its charge too, so best results of attempting to start the engine would be acheived with some fresh gasoline.

I like Randy's suggestion regarding the fuel. After two years, if it has ethanol in it, it's bad. Drain the carbs and clean them... All the other advice is good, too and you should check everything methodically.

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi Harry,

Having spent some time in the Netherlands, I am aware of the high humidity your Healey has experienced and can expect that all your electrical problems are being caused by the corrosion formed within your electrical system. First, I would clean and set the points in both your distributor and fuel pump as the tungsten points have a tendency to form oxidation during periods of inactivity. Second, I would go through all your bullet connectors, especially where the unit that are not working, and clean and apply dielectric grease (or Vaseline) before reconnecting to keep out the moisture.

I also agree with the group that cleaning the fuel system is a must to eliminate clogs by contaminates left behind after evaporation. Although I am not sure of the makeup of the fuel you are using, I would expect it contains additives or even alcohol that can absorb moisture that will be left behind after the more volatile components of your gasoline evaporate and will do damage.

One last point, I would also consider flushing the brake system as the standard types of fluids will absorb moisture and cause problems.

All the best,
Ray (64BJ8P1)

OP
H

hama61

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
@ Randy I think best to be compared to Pennsylvania this weekend i will do the tune up and check the contact points.

@ Boyracer thanks for the advice will check

@ Steve the gasoline ron 95 contains 2 per cent ethanol it is allowed to blend up to 5 per cent.

@ Rac 68 except the tune up will check the bulletconnectors as well

Gasoline normally a blend of 5-6 light nafta like fractions (pygas - isomerate -raffinate - light virgin nafta as well small percentage of Mtbe i believe this isn't allowed in the US anymore contains as well ETBE and aromatics like xylene and Toluene 1 % benzene is allowed as well.

I regret already, that i didn't start a run the Healey once in a while

Harry