• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A adjust fuel level

TR4eh

Getting the 4A ready for some driving again. When I parked it last fall, I pulled the plugs and found 1 and 2 black and sooty, 3 and 4 not so much. The front carb had an non-adjustable float. Both floats are now new, the adjustable black viton type, with new seats and needles, and both floats are set at 1/8". However, the front fuel level is up to the bridge of the carb throat, but the rear fuel level is about 3/8" below the bridge. These levels should be equal but the difference seems too large for float adjustments to overcome.

I haven't set about tweaking the floats because, well, I don't really have a plan other than lower the front and raise the rear, and all you wise people might have a better plan. So I'm all ears :friendly_wink:

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
On some of the later carbs (SU HS6), the adjustment is by shimming the valve body. The pivot arm is cast plastic and can't be bent to change the level.

Fig 7.8 float all plastic.jpg

Sure sounds odd, though. Can you try swapping float chambers front/rear? I'm wondering if one of them is the wrong size or something.

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I use HS6's on my two TR4's . The 1/8" on the carbs is to little. I have a guide that came with an older kit that says ( I recall) 5/16". When I have looked down the jet after removing the dome, needle and piston the fuel is normally 1/4" to 5/16" down from the top of the jet/ bridge. So your front carb is adjusted way to high. Most times the slope of the engine is the cause for differing float levels. Especially on the TR version as your float bowls are in front and then in back of the carb bodies. But you should still be able to get the levels close. There is a different float bowl that can be used to raise the fuel level. But you should not have to go to that extreme.
Charley

OP
T

TR4eh

I use HS6's on my two TR4's . The 1/8" on the carbs is to little. I have a guide that came with an older kit that says ( I recall) 5/16". When I have looked down the jet after removing the dome, needle and piston the fuel is normally 1/4" to 5/16" down from the top of the jet/ bridge. So your front carb is adjusted way to high. Most times the slope of the engine is the cause for differing float levels. Especially on the TR version as your float bowls are in front and then in back of the carb bodies. But you should still be able to get the levels close. There is a different float bowl that can be used to raise the fuel level. But you should not have to go to that extreme.
Charley

Thanks much for this information, Charley. I removed a shim from the rear carb's seat, and using shims under the font seat and tweaking the arm on the float, I have both levels about equal but they are about 1/8" down from the bridge. I can't seem to get the front carb's level lower than that. I'll drive it tomorrow and see how it performs, and pull the plugs to check for color.

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I looked up the reference I was trying to quote. And it was 3/16 not 5/16. It then went on to say that 1/8 to 3/16 was acceptable.
Have you ever used a Colortune? It gives you immediate results that you are looking at the spark plugs for. Unfortunately the cost is bit much for how often one uses it.
Charley