• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Add ZDDP to gearbox oil?

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Just use a high quality racing oil in engine & Tranny N U be OK

I did it this way with no problems at all so I only had to carry one type of oil in the boot while traveling all over USA.

Last edited:

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
It has been a couple years, but I didn't have too much trouble finding non-detergent 30 weight--it is usually only sold in the cheapest store or discount brand. I used to run multi viscosity, never had issues, but have read it can cavitate or foam in a gearbox.

Country flag
I may have missed this in the past but, what is the difference between ZDDP and ZDDP "plus"? Plus is probably an advertising gimmick because we have been trained to think plus is always better. (well, we don't always like plus size strippers and pole dancers)

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
How about adds that say, New and improved. If it's a new product (not a new version) then how can it be improved at the same time.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
SAE engine oil viscosity grade 50 must have a viscosity between 16.3 cSt (centiStoke) and 21.9 cSt at 100C (212F) - This is the manufacturer's requirement.

SAE gear oil viscosity grade 90 must have a viscosity between 13.5 cSt and 18.5 cSt at 100C. That's one reason why MT-90 works well in a Healey transmission. Gear oil viscosity grades are different than engine oil viscosity grades.

SAE engine oil viscosity grade 30 must have a viscosity between 9.3 cSt and 12.5 cSt at 100C. That's too thin. Detergent vs non-detergent is immaterial.

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
I've used 20w-50, MTL-90 and recently switched to 30w non detergent as Healey Surgeons recommends it.
I have noticed that the shifting is a little smoother then 20w-50 and doesn't leak as much as MTL-90. Still leaks but I think that's what Healey's do. I bought the 30w at the local Napa store.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I may have missed this in the past but, what is the difference between ZDDP and ZDDP "plus"? Plus is probably an advertising gimmick because we have been trained to think plus is always better. (well, we don't always like plus size strippers and pole dancers)
ZDDP Plus is simply a brand of ZDDP additive. Since its strong suit is to protect flat tappets I don't see why it would be useful in transmissions,