• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Abingdon! We have a problem!

Howard_The_Duck

Jedi Warrior
Hey guys

Attached you will see what is now left of my BGT. EVERYTHING came out today. No man left standing, take no prisoners, etc etc. LOL

Attachments

• 140974-DSC00214.JPG
    140974-DSC00214.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 172

Steve_S

Yoda
You got jacked! Oh wait, you did that yourself! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I love taking things apart. That looks like fun to me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
You guys stripped the car down that far from "running" to THIS in one day?!?!?

Now I ~KNOW~ I'm gettin' old!

OP
Howard_The_Duck

Howard_The_Duck

Jedi Warrior
Ha I wish Doc.

This car was never "running". It was sold to us as "running" but no "running" ever occurred. Thats a LONG story for a different day.

Actually the motor and tranny were already out of the car, as was most of the interior. Yesterday I yanked the doors and dropped the front clip in its entirety.

Today saw the removal of the rear end, and the last bits of the wiring harness. Then we went to the local O'Reilly's and came back to the garage-mahal to begin stripping.

Hence my question. OK, the rear quarters are trash from the beltline down (Nothing but our friends rust and bondo). Has anyone here changed out the rear quarters from a BGT, we saw that the seam encompasses three different sections, so any input from anyone having this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Also, we are thinking about going with the sebring fenders, but I need complete new front fenders so I am looking at that kit from MGOC. Anyone have any input on that panel kit either?

Lastly, the front section of the car, from where the front suspension crossmember would be on forward, is in need of dire assistance. I am attaching a picture of just the front grill area (note the bondo chunk missing at the bottom driver side corner). Has anyone had it this bad? If so, what did you do?

Thanks and sorry for all the questions.

Attachments

• 140988-DSC00202.JPG
    140988-DSC00202.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 110

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Son, you got a job ahead of you! If I come down in Feb for Mardi Gras or whatever it is in Bogaloosa, I expect to get a ride in that GT. Figured you needed a target date.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

OP
Howard_The_Duck

Howard_The_Duck

Jedi Warrior
I love you Jaybird.

But my goal is two-fold

Late April 2006-
Walter Mitty Challenge @ Road Atlanta (link to this past event)
https://www.hsrrace.com/HSR/HSRHome.nsf/weblinks/EJEN-66HMTV?OpenDocument

and

MG 2006 in Gatlinburg, TN
www.mg2006.com

I will try extra hard to get it done Mardi-Gras time, but that may require you sending me a small business loan! LOL

Worse come to worse, I will toss you in it and push the rotisserie! LOLOLOL

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
I doubt I come down in February. I don't think I could bear not spending a few days in NO, and I'm not sure the city is going to be ready for me! But...I WILL be at Gatlinburg, I've already got my reservations. Is your mama coming too? Would be two-fold! Can see the GT and Maggie!

OP
Howard_The_Duck

Howard_The_Duck

Jedi Warrior
Momma will most undoubtedly be running the fireworks tent.

I may not go to MG06 depending on her needs there. But I WILL be ready for Mitty 06.

I really want to go to MG 2006 though. :-\

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Ours was kinda similar at the front, with poorly repaired crash damage at both ends as well. I used the rear quarter patch panels from VickieBrit and "glued" 'em on with SEM's PanelBond. The front valence was harbouring a ton of bondo but I dollied it out after mechanically removing the "mud" and used fiberglass to replace the "missing" bits. AllMetal filler for the irregularities. I'd guess you have a "heat wrench" and other metalworking tools for your project, so you'll be welding your panels on. What I got from VickieBrit fit ~fairly~ well but I've heard nightmare stories about the fit of some of the "counterfeit" fenders, etc. Others will be able to give you better info on those I imagine.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
That all looks sooo familiar... you're a victim of ShoddyBop repairs in the past. Nothing there looks irretrieveable tho. Looks like a sandblaster would help you a TON there.

LLAngus

Jedi Knight
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gifA sand blaster will take everything off. Don't get too agressive (too close) and use the finest grit of sand the blaster will take. It will eliminate most of the bond and all the rust. You don't have a problem just a situation. A little work and you will be driving down the road so don't lose heart. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

OP
Howard_The_Duck

Howard_The_Duck

Jedi Warrior
We are going to chem strip everything then send it to be sodablasted. I hear thats really the best way to go.

GH - Actually as we've pulled up the paint, it appears it was a maroon color originally. The copper is pretty, but I think the baby blue metallic will be far sweeter.