Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
Ok, well I will double check all the easy stuff first like firing order - I suppose someone may have lifted the bonnet and changed that while my car was parked but I really doubt it.
This happened midway through a trip and my car was parked at a park then on the ferry, I couldn't see it either place.
I'd guess it's in the 2/3 range.
Runs rough, sounds terrible, there were some guys at my work who were running some landscaping equipment - sounds like that.
Most likely...broken valve spring, shot guides, burned valve.
The 20 pounds should tell you something.
Can you apply air to the low cylinder with valves closed and car set brake on in first or reverse and see where the air comes out?
Hillbilly leakdown tester.
If you do apply air, have at least the adjacent plugs out on the hole being tested. I have found head gasket issues before. You may NOT have low on both, as compression on known bad may be enough to raise the adjacent hole.
Seen it enough to remember it.
If you do yank the head, solvent check the combustion chambers and carefully inspect the gasket.
Dave
Doesn't sound as bad as a broken piston so I would agree with TOC. Can you turn the engine over with the valve cover off rolling it over in high gear. You should be able to see if the valve's on 4 are opening and closing all the way. That would eliminate a cam going flat. If you had a burned intake I would expect lot's of back fireing. Exhaust burned????
The video sounded like my 1275 after the head gasket went south. The car ran extremely rough and it was more like "The Little Engine That Could" any time I pointed it up a hill. It felt like I lost 1/2 the car's power.
Yes I rotated the rockers several times and all of the valve springs and clearances check good and they all fully depress and whatever the opposite is called...
Maybe head gasket failure, but will have to tear things apart to be sure.
First a thorough compression test.
Drove it back & forth to Issaquah like that all week - but it wasn't any fun.
I pulled all the plugs, screwed the end of my gauge in a plug hole and then turned the key for about 10 seconds with wide open throttle.
Repeat for each cylinder.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.