• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

A-type Overdrive & Gearbox

T

TRDejaVu

I would appreciate some feedback on your experience with this transmission combo (A-type OD only please).

I am interested to know:

1. how often you have issues with your A-type overdrive?

2. what they typically were.

3. did you need to pull the transmission to fix them?

4. if you winter your car; any OD issues in the spring due to non-use?

5. how many miles have you got out of your clutch, gearbox and OD before it needed to be overhauled? What problem (if any) required it to be pulled?

Sorry for the length. I have a decision to make.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Once it's actually in good condition, it can be trouble-free for 100,000 miles or more. I've kind of lost track of how many miles I've put on mine since Herman van den Akker rebuilt it for me some 10 years ago, but it has to be over 50,000 miles so far and it's still working great.

The only issue I've had was that sometimes the clutch would slip when engaging in 2nd gear at full throttle. Herman offered to fix it if I would bring him the OD, but I opted to not worry about it (and not shift at full throttle in 2nd gear). While I was moving it from the wrecked TR3A to the current TR3, I measured and adjusted the operating pressure myself, with the result that it never slips now.

Oh, and the operating switch sometimes comes loose on the dash
grin.gif

Winter tends to be prime driving season around here, so no help there.

Lou Metelko

Jedi Trainee
Ian:
In 2002 John Esposito from Quantum Mechanics rebuilt the transmission and overdrive in my TR2 and now some 25,000 miles later there have been absolutely zero issues with either! I do change the fluid and wash the filter every other year and per John's instructions I use Valvoline 30wt non-detergent.

If you are decideing between a Japanese five speed or the A-type then there is no question as to which you would be more pleased with. Just be sure that it is rebuilt by John or someone at his level of expertise.

Lou Metelko
Auburn, Indiana
TRA in Fort Wayne, Indiana in 2011

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
Hello neighbor. I've had this gearbox in the TR250 since 1985 when the A-type OD was rebuilt. I have had a few problems but these have always been electrical and either related to a poor connection (I hate Lucar connectors) or failure of the solenoid. The solenoid was replaced in 1989. A few years ago, I had problems with slow engagement. I hadn't realized but that little drip, drip on the garage floor each week can add up. The gearbox/OD oil was very low. This was not enough to hurt the gears, but enough to prevent the necessary pressure build up required to engage the unit. Once I topped off the gearbox, the OD opperated correctly. I use 20W-50 Valvoline.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
+1 on the John Esposito recommendation, though perhaps you already have prospective unit in mind.

I have only had my OD for 5 years (about 25,000 miles) but no problems so far.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Only issue I've had in 4 years was when I put in some off brand non-detergent 30 wt oil in it. Overdrive wound up engaged full time, I caught it without causing damage - a quick clean of the bypass valve and a changeout to 20W50 VR1 and haven't had any problem since. Only need for pulling was a worn out clutch disk. My main existing and minor issue with my gearbox is slightly tired syncro rings but I don't see the need to fix anything yet.

TonyPanchot

Jedi Trainee
I will +2 on Esposito as well, I did have to wait a full summer for the unit.

I don't drive the 250 much and it did take some getting use to having the OD stalk near trafficator stalk but have it down now and it is an effective Trans.

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Ian,

70,000 miles on a TR4A transmission with A-type overdrive that was driven daily for 5 years with no problems at all with either. I rebuilt the transmission myself but the overdrive was bolted on as-is with only a cleanup of the filter and accumulator piston areas and replacement of the rear oil seal. I'm unsure of the mileage on the overdrive but it came off of a TR3 transmission. Clutch was still working fine as well with the same mileage.

Scott

OP
T

TRDejaVu

For anyone who's looking, there is one just listed on eBay (not mine).