• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A A quote from Randall on Brake & MC Pedal Stops on later TR3's Girling system

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Bronze
Country flag
"There is no real need for the pedal stops, the stop built into the MC(Brake) is plenty strong enough and using it ensures there is enough free play to always allow the "foot" valve to open. Having the stop adjusted too tight can cause the valve to remain closed which can be dangerous as the brakes will start to drag and overheat as the fluid gets hot during driving."
On my car ,when I have the stop bolt for the brake in place, the pedal can be depressed about an inch and then I feel the brakes start to come on. (The brake pedal is at the same resting height as the clutch pedal which I believe is correct). If I remove the stop bolt there is about 4" of pedal travel before I feel the brakes start to come on. If the stop bolt is not needed then why am I getting so much extra pedal travel with the stop bolt out?
The reason this concerns me is I believe the stop is too tight causing the brakes to bind like Randal says. I can feel the brakes binding after several miles of driving? Any thoughts on this?
I recently installed rebuilt brake calipers, rebuilt Brake MC, new pads and rotors. I bed the system. Is it possible there is still air in the system throwing the pedal height out of whack?

bobhustead

Gold
Country flag
ISTR you raised this issue in two other recent threads. If the push rod from the top of the pedal into the master has a bit of slack before engaging the piston in the master, this adjusting gadget is not causing retained pressure in the brake system. If you can't feel whether there is slack with the pedal system fully assembled, pull the clevis pin out of the top eye in the pedal and see if the eye of the push rod is aft of the eye of the pedal when contact between the push rod and the m/c piston occurs.
Bob

Last edited:

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
You can set the height of the pedal with the pedal linkage, so long as you do not run the linkage out so far the master cylinder does not release fully. IOW, you should have a bit of free play at the linkage when the pedal is released, to ensure the MC piston is allowed to relax fully.

The pedal stop would be set to just touch the end of the pedal when everything is released...or just remove it to simplify setting the linkage length. If you prefer a low pedal, and then shorten the linkage to get the pedal low, you would then run the stop bolt out to meet the pedal when released. The purpose of all this is to be able to set your brake pedal height to match the accelerator pedal, so you can side-step the throttle while using the brake. If you do not ever plan to side step, then just set the pedal for the most travel you can get , and leave the stop bolt fully in or removed completely.