• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

A New Present...

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Today I bought <span style="text-decoration: line-through">myself</span> my TR6 a new present....
I have been casually looking into getting a 5-speed for my car. I got lucky(?) and found one from a 1985 Toyota Supra that had the correct 5th gear ratio. Price was good, and it was only about 30 miles away so it now resides in my garage until I can spring for Herman's kit.

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I put a chalk mark at the 12 o'clock position on the input and output shaft. Then I put it in 5th gear and turned the input shaft one revolution and watched how many turns the output shaft made. Then I put it in Reverse, and counted how many turns it took on the input shaft to make one revolution on the output shaft.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Good deal. I've got one of those in my TR3. Those Supra trannys are pretty much bullet proof. The first four gears are very close to the original TR box, so it will feel right. You're gonna like the added fifth gear. :driving:

BTW, with 185/70-15" tires on the TR3 and the Toyota box, my speedo readings are DEAD ON when checked against my GPS. That was a pleasant surprise. :yesnod:

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I just bought the same trans and have talked to Herman and sent him a check (he will take off $100 right now). So I hope to have all the parts to ready to install as soon as the body comes off the frame.
P.S. Herman is full of great information.
Dan

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Art- I did read your post a couple of days ago regarding the speed check you did with the GPS. Unfortunately, I don't think I will be so lucky. I have the 205/70's on mine so I'm anticipating some speedo modifications.

Dan- That's great to know about the $100 off right now. At this point I don't plan on ordering it anytime soon since I'm looking for employment.... first things first!
You are right on when it comes to Herman... a true gentleman and extremely helpful!

pware

Does Herman make kits for other Triumphs other than a TR6. I have been thinking about the 5 speed conversion myself (once I start restoration). Does he have a web site or do you contact him by phone? I have herd alot of good things about his kit.

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Go to HDVA Conversions on the web and pull up herman van den akker
I do not think he has one for a GT6. But call him and you will get more info than I can. 661-242-1253
Dan

pware

Thanks for the info guys

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Reverse= 3.786 turns of the input shaft to ONE revolution of the output shaft

5th Gear= .783 turn of the input shaft to ONE revolution of the output shaft
or
make ONE revolution of the input shaft and the output shaft should turn one complete revolution plus about 7 splines.

See the Gear Ratio Table that Herman has on his site for helpful info on the gear ratios of different years.