• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

A hello

SharkAttack

Freshman Member
Hello, I just wanted to pop-in and say hello as I start my search for a 280i. I currently have my eye on an 85 US car that is currently being driven! The glass is showing threw the paint, the front spoiler is still in one pc and the interior has actually fared the last 24+ years very well. My usual projects have been Porsche 928's. However my first car at the age of 16 was a Triumph tr7. I spent a lot of time on my back under that car! Between transmissions and rear axils it was quite and education.

I am on my 5th 928 and I just think it is time for a change. We had a TVR dealer in my home town in the 80's. A friend of mine worked for the dealer ( I was 17) he used to bring home a 280 and we would go beat the snot out of it for the weekend. I like cars with a history and the TVR as the 928 certainly has a great history. A pix of my current 928 can be seen here www.928ocnwpa.org (no spam intended)

Any info you can provide would be fantastic. Cost of things is a concern to a point. But more the initial outlay fr the car is most important to me. I do my own wrenching, Have a lift in the garage and enjoy it. I dont mind the cost of repairs and parts. Its all part of the project. So please, give me an education about the 280i!

Thanks
Kyle

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Welcome, Kyle!

The TVR folks will no doubt be along shortly with some comment. In the meantime, good luck with your search. There was a guy in the Knoxville area with one for sale recently, but not sure if he still has it. I believe he visits this place from time to time...

:cheers:
Mickey

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Welcome Kyle - I can't really offer much more than what Mickey has already provided but I would suggest that whiloe parts available for the engine and most of the non-trim should be excellent you will likely need to be ordering from the UK. Now few things compare to Porsche parts prices, so maybe no sticker shock there just more lead time.

FYI - I had an 1987 928S4 5 speed. Fastest peice of art I ever drove, never shuld have sold it but that is another story.

mrtvr

Jedi Trainee
Kyle,
Welcome to the site and glad to hear you are searching for a 280i. I'm currently on my third Tasmin or 280i since 1988 and enjoy them thoroughly. I also have the only classic TVR parts business in the United States and most of the parts for these cars are readily available. (go to www.cmw-tvr.com).
The real key to these cars, is to buy the best one you can afford. Try to get one that someone else has already done a lot of work to as it will probably save you much time and money later on.
If you can do your own wrenching, that saves a lot of money, certainly. The cars are a blast to drive but do a lot better when driven on at least a semi-regular basis. Unfortunately, a lot of these were driven very infrequently so when someone decides to get one back in road-worthy condition, it involves a lot of work going through all the systems to bring it back into fine fettle.
If you want to contact me to talk about this model, parts availability, and what to look for, feel free to contact me via e-mail at cmw_tvr@verizon.net and I'll be happy to help however I can.
Also, you can go to the TVR Car Club North America website (www.tvrccna.org) and go to TVRs for Sale and there are several 280is for sale on there at any given time.

Marshall

OP
S

SharkAttack

Freshman Member
Mr TVR? Are you in the north-east part of PA, near the NE TP extention? If so I think we may have met years and years ago. I had a TR7 and you had a TR8 that i was looking at. I think I was 18 yrs old so that would have been 21 years ago. If it was you, you had cars ALL OVER THE PLACE. Behind every barn door was something really neat. Was it you by chance?

Grady

Country flag
Welcome (almost) to Wedgedom. They really are fun cars. The later the year and the better condition, the better.

I'm in Houston so a big city but it's still very hard to find anyone who will tweak on them. The LBC guys are scared off by the CIS fuel injection and the Germans will not touch them b/c it's a LBC. In the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic there are more options I thing.

Also, I have two more years of fighting emission inspections, hopefully you have an exemption. But if not, beware of out of state cars with modified exhaust systems. The Cat has to be very near the engine and there is little room there of one much less two.

Also become a regular on the Wedge page of Pistonheads. There is a lot of experience and help there but unfortunately the vast store of wealth is blocked b/c an archive search only goes back about 6-12 months. Also it's V-8 oriented which will make you envious. <grin> https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/forum.asp

Grady

mrtvr

Jedi Trainee
No, I'm not in Pennsylvania, I'm located in southwest Virginia. But if I can be of help to you in any way, just let me know.

TXCoyote

Jedi Hopeful
Welcome,

I concur, buy a Series 2 car and do what I did. Blow the engine and stuff a Rover and a 5 speed in it like they do across the pond. Mine is a screamer! Better gas mileage on the V8 than the six (at least in my car) and you can rid yourself of the pesky CIS injection.

No matter which way you go, you'll find that the car has alot of personality and gets alot of questions. What is a TVR? Is that Italian? Does Triumph make it? Kind of funny, nobody here knows about TVR's. Make sure you keep our little secret. Great classic real cheap to get into.

Also Marshall is a great resource. Call him