• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 A friend just sold his check-book TR6.....wow

G

A fellow member of the British Motoring Club of New Orleans showed up to the Brits on the River meet in Natchez, MS (actually Vidalia, LA) with his new acquisition, a sweet 2001 XK8. I have competed against him the last four years at our show with his nice TR6. Given, he bought the car restored for 17K. It was really nice, no concours, a few non-original parts here and there. He sold the car this summer for 22K! I have beat him in judging 4 years in a row (popular vote). Makes me want to throw some chum in the water and see what kind of nibbles I get.

The prices are going up.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
That only means you'll pay a lot more for a lot less than what you have when you get a case of seller regret....

bobh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Bill,
I'm not sure what you are implying with "check-book TR6". The common meaning is someone paid to have their car restored, or in the case of street rods to have a street rod built.
While this may not sit well with someone who either prefers to do the work them selves, or cannot afford to pay another to do the work. It is the engine that powers the rise in collector car prices. With few exceptions the high dollar sales we see at Barret Jackson and other auction venues are for professionally restored vehicles.
On the local level my experience indicates that you have to pay to win. Whether the money was spent on a previously restored car or on an owner restored car. the car that cost the most generally stands the best chance of winning.

BOBH

cutlass29

- Aye, the term "check book TR6" almost sounds derogatory.

- I looked for a long time before buying my TR6 and walked away from many so called "restored" vehicles. Using my own judgment and the advice of many on here, the general consensus of which was always and still is, buy the best car you can afford....and this I did.

- The car is a reliable driver, and very well done. I did not buy it to win shows...I bought it to drive it. I was willing to spend more money up front so I could spend more time behind the wheel.

- If this makes me a "check book TR6" driver so be it.

- I beleive this actually puts me in good company 'cos the best "check book TR6" driver on the forum would have to be Tinster!!

- and at the end of the day as Triumph drivers are we not all check book, credit card, paypal, barter etc. dependent anyway.

OP
G

TR6BILL said:
A fellow member of the British Motoring Club of New Orleans showed up to the Brits on the River meet in Natchez, MS (actually Vidalia, LA) with his new acquisition, a sweet 2001 XK8. I have competed against him the last four years at our show with his nice TR6. Given, he bought the car restored for 17K. It was really nice, no concours, a few non-original parts here and there. He sold the car this summer for 22K! I have beat him in judging 4 years in a row (popular vote). Makes me want to throw some chum in the water and see what kind of nibbles I get.

The prices are going up.

You beat him in judging 4 years in a row, he got $22K for his TR6, you are not sure if you want to try to get nibbles at that price? I don't think my TR6 is near as nice as yours but if anyone should insult you at a meagre $20K, point them in my direction, I'll fill the gas tank too.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
IN a few short years, the remaining restored and nice AH 3000's will be unobtainable and the basket cases that are left will disappear as parts cars or just get destroyed.

Then watch your TR6 investment go up.

These are the last 2 seat British six cylinders roadsters left, along with the AH & XKE and we know where those prices are already.

TR4

Jedi Knight
Stirkle said:
TR6BILL said:

The prices are going up.

You beat him in judging 4 years in a row, he got $22K for his TR6, you are not sure if you want to try to get nibbles at that price? I don't think my TR6 is near as nice as yours but if anyone should insult you at a meagre $20K, point them in my direction, I'll fill the gas tank too.

Or if they would condider a TR4 for $20K, I have a real nice one. That way, I could go lookin for a TR3 smallmouth.

bailee2

Jedi Hopeful
My understanding of the Classic Car Market is that as long as "Baby Boomers" are buying the Market will remain high.

However, in the near future when they (me included) get bored with it or invest in a retirement village then the prices will start falling.

Look at Model T's and Model A's, their prices are starting to fall off. Is that because the generation that drove them had history with them, restored, drove them and now could just be moving on.

My son loves my TR6 but he would never pay $20K for it. He would rather have a turbo powered Japanese car.

So I just drive it and enjoy it. When I do give it to my son I hope he does form a connection with it and keeps it.

Strange that he does love the 8 track AM/FM I put in it.

1972 TR6 Restored

Arlie King
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

OP
G

Let me explain better.

The guy is a friend, and loves British cars, and has absolutely no mechanical abilities short of changing oil. He wanted a TR6 badly (yes, he is an older baby boomer, like me) and found his dream TR6 in Florida, restored. He gladly paid $17,000.00 for it 4 years ago and has enjoyed it immensely, even though my bling-bling TR6 has indeed beat him four years running in our annual show (popular vote). His wife got tired of the car, no air conditioning and all, and that is when he explored the market, advertising on various forums (not this one). He found a buyer in Arizona that agreed to pay him $22,000.00 for the car, has kept in touch with him and is happy.

Do I think less of my friend because he paid to play? Of course not. There are several restorers here on the forum that love the guys with a checkbook. I personally have way, way more than $22K in my car, over 7 years, and look at it as a hobby. No boat, no camp, no bars, no significant others. Just my TR6.

Whatever turns your crank is fine with me. I ran across another checkbook TR6 at a show this weekend. Very, very nice. The guy and his wife knew all the catch phrases to talk cars but you could look at his fingernails and tell that he has never touched a wrench. Beautiful car. (I could have picked it apart but won't do that) They have fun with it and get to hang out, sorta, with other car people. (really pretty much stuck to themselves during the whole show. Hey, their "check-book" car beat out mine in the popular vote.)

I would guess that many of the LBCs that we see at shows are bought as full restos. You can pretty much figure out who worked on their own cars. Doesn't bother me. And shouldn't bother ya'll.

kcbugeye1275

Jedi Knight
Yrs ago when the KC car clubs started putting on the KC all Brit show the most numerous car was the old MGs. 40 or 50 wasn't unusal andowners had all restored their cars. For quite a number of yrs there hasn't been 10 of the old MGs. When questioned, the few who did show told of all the cars being bought as investments and simply garaged under a tarp and forgotten. However, the last couple of yrs the number of these classics have started to grow, including several beautiful prewar MGs that look new(wouldn't want one, but they are cool, really look at the motor of one sometime). What I am suggesting is that this to is cyclic.

DanNagy

Jedi Trainee
My name is Dan, and I admit to being a "check book" owner. Do we have our own group?

I wish to be able to work on my own car, and have tried for years to do it... like 30+ years. I always break more stuff than I fix when I try to work on my car, and it just turns into a frustration-fest for me. The last time I had to have the car towed to a garage because of my tinkering - last spring. I never seem to learn.

The point is, be thankful that you have the talent to do this work. It's a gift, and it amazes me (sincerely) that many of you here can do it. I am sorry I can't feel the sense of accomplishment in rebuilding an engine or replacing a fender, especially when you take it out on the road.

Somehow, this makes me feel a bit less of an enthusiast having the "check book" label put on me, even though I have enjoyed sports cars my entire life. In fact, I worked at McDonalds for $1.52 an hour to buy my first Brit car at 16. If only I had known that I was headed down "check book" lane...

14dna

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
We seem to feel that buying your car work is bad when it comes to restoration. I'll bet few of us raise our own beef or pigs, we don't grow grapes for wine and we don't even grow vegetable gardens. Yet we find no shame in being "check-book" participants in all these areas. If you don't have the talent but do have the money, good for you. Enjoy to the limits, this hobby and feel no regrets. There are no rules for how you obtain your passion, only that you have it.
I, for one, am glad you are keeping these LBCs alive.Thanks!
Dave

Brooklands

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Dan,
I guess I am also a 'check book' owner. I have tried a few small jobs so far, but find that I do best with cleaning and hiring someone who is competent to do my mechanical work. I will do some more minor tinkering, but the major work will continue to be done by others. But ownership is fun, and I will enjoy this like all my other hobbies too.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I have known Bill since I started on this forum and I can assure you that he is not the type to intentionally hurt or knock anyone for what they can or can't do by themselves. he is just not that kind of guy, no matter how the previous posts may come across. And this is not that kind of forum.

I was a fully certified Master Mechanic and ran several huge dealership service departments, with over 100 employees under my wings at each. I pay for work that my back, my garage or my time frame won't let me do, but no one is going to make me feel any less an enthusiast or take away any of my fun of having the car that I want, look and perform as I want it to.

It's a hobby, not my life. I patched together my first car, a 1955 Chevy with bondo to pass inspection because I only made $1.25 and hour as an apprentice in 1967, so I know how it feels from both sides.

Whether you pay for the work or do it yourself, it's a hobby and we are all here to enjoy the hobby and each other because of it.

I hope that everyone understands what I'm saying and loses no enthusiasm towards the hobby or this forum.

DanNagy

Jedi Trainee
Well Dave R, the first step is admitting it.

And to Dave Hockey Nut, no regrets. We "check bookers" will rise up, pen in hand, and live to buy another day.

DanNagy

Jedi Trainee
Well, Paul, you and your car amaze me. I got what you are saying. I apologize Forum. It's a knee-jerk reaction because I love sports cars so much (every spring I have sports car fever so bad I drive with the top down and a winter coat). -d

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I think a lot of us have the same feelings for
"chechbook" cars,but will "let it go" if the owner
is enthusiastic about his/other British Cars.
The other side of the coin that I dislike is when people feel like they "deserve" an expensive Jag,Healey,
etc.I like to hear things like "I'm fortunate to be able
to own/enjoy this cool car".
Remember,this comes from a guy who drives a Cortina!
No wait,the Cortina's in the garage,waiting for parts.
Seems the owner thinks he's a mechanic.He's proven wrong-
- AGAIN!

- Doug

DanNagy

Jedi Trainee
Hey, the Cortina was my first car! A Cortina GT. That was a nice running 1600 cc engine in that one, and it drove great. I set it up with one pencil driving light and one fog lamp, and took out the resonator so it was l-o-u-d. I flipped a lot of burgers to enjoy that car. I really loved it, but some lady hit me and demolished it.

I do remember driving to D.C. one time to my cousin's house, and the hot wire to the celenoid falling off. Luckily, my mom had sent some spaghetti sauce for him and taped the top of the jar. The tape got me to his apartment. I also had the starter fall off of it on a country ride. I pushed the car for a few days until I got it back on. Other than that, it ran like a gem.

bobh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
There is a simple solution to this discussion. Do not use derogatory or inflammatory statements in your posts. Check-Book and Pay to Play are two examples.
As someone stated earlier, all of us have paid in one way or another to own and maintain our cars. Very few do every thing themselves.
What's the difference between a $35K TR6 and a $17K TR6? Nothing if both owners enjoy their cars. A lot if one or the other harbors resentment. I can't help but to sense resentment when derogatory cliche's are used in posts. Perhaps their use is entirely innocent. But there is enough evidense in the responses to see they do infer negative connotations.
Yes I do have a propensity to defend myself or others when someone steps on anothers toes.
BOBH
aka BUB

Brooklands

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I am not offended by the terms. If I ever learn to wrench on my car, I will be thrilled. If not, I am not ashamed to ask for help. There are things I am willing to try as I don't think I can cause too much damage, and others for which I do not trust myself, at least not yet.
My son-in-law was going to work on the car with me, but he changed jobs and has very little free time now. If that changes, we will probably do more work on Fagin ourselves. If not, I will visit mechanics. If someone is available to teach me, I will try to learn over time. But I know that I have talents and weaknesses. Mechanical stuff is just not my forte, but that does not make me stop enjoying my car.