• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

A beautiful piece of jewelry for Bugsy/ Christmas came early

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
The Post Office left a surprise box on the doorstep for Bugsy IV today. I know this had shipped but did not expect it until Monday. I carefully opened the box and there is the nicest piece of craftsmanship I have seen in a long time. My new Short Shift Kit and Shift Knob has arrived from Gerard. Opening this and looking at the craftsmanship I compared it to opening up my new I-Phone in the jeweled case for the first time. Every piece wrapped and crafted in meticulous detail. I took pics but pics can't describe the way this feels I your hand. It's Beautiful to look at and to hold. Too nice for the rest of the car right now.

Engine Transmission Mating Work starts next week after I finish the SpeedHut Gauge Installs. Folks if you have a 5 Speed kit in your Spridget you need one of these gearshifts to finish it off. All I can say is WOW. Pictures don't do it justice. Gerard thanks again!:D View attachment 50064

Last edited:

Nelson

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I just installed mine a couple of days ago. It is really slick. All it takes now to shift is a flick of my wrist. It would be great for use in running in an autocross.

Country flag
I don't know Nelson. Most autocrosses that I've done have been done in 2nd gear. Only using 1st gear for the launch.
But I agree that a short shift is nice. I haven't had a chance to fit the shifter hat on mine, but I look forward to not reinstalling my shift gaiter every day.

Nelson

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The autocross thing was just a guess as I haven't done anything like that since my gymkhana days back in the sixties. That was with my original 4 speed tranny. With this new shifter I found that I have to use the MG gaiter that I had been using. I couldn't get the new regular one from Gerard to stay in place. I also had to grind a slight notch at the left side of the transmission tunnel opening. The bottom left side mounting screw for Gerard's setup was rubbing against the edge of the cutout. A little Dremel work was no big deal. It will be a pleasure to use as I get used to the shorter throw.

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Nelson,

So far, I haven't heard from anyone else with interference issues on the left side. My mount is similar to what Paul made, but I did make changes to it to locate the shifter more to the right, and a little further back.

The issue with the new gaiter is possibly related to your placement issues, but probably mostly has to do with the rubber that are using in these reproductions as being very stiff. Maybe some time in the sun or treated with some Black Magic preservative would soften them. I have noticed in many pictures that a lot of people have them installed upside-down too.

The autocross thing was just a guess as I haven't done anything like that since my gymkhana days back in the sixties. That was with my original 4 speed tranny. With this new shifter I found that I have to use the MG gaiter that I had been using. I couldn't get the new regular one from Gerard to stay in place. I also had to grind a slight notch at the left side of the transmission tunnel opening. The bottom left side mounting screw for Gerard's setup was rubbing against the edge of the cutout. A little Dremel work was no big deal. It will be a pleasure to use as I get used to the shorter throw.

Nelson

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The contact with the side of the tunnel opening did not prevent the shifter from operating properly. I just thought it would be better if there was no contact. Your design is still a good one. It wasn't much of a job to make the small notch. My MG gaiter works very well but it is unfortunate that it hides the nice finish on the shifter.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I'm one of those that found that putting the rubber boot the right way made a difference (setting it up as an "innie" not an "outie" moved the stress point to a better locatoin). As in this pic:
Neutral.jpg

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
And a new gaiter arrived today for Bugsy IV along with a new Turn Signal Switch as I buggered up the old one last weekend. Will be two weeks before I can even start I'm off to the Put In Bay Road Race Reunion on Lake Erie. Races are Monday and Tuesday, Drive Up and Site Seeing on Saturday, Cedar Point for Roller Coasters on Sunday, and hop the ferry out to the island on Monday AM. Races start at 10:00 and run until 5:00 and then they do it again on Tuesday. Beautiful weather forecasted. Put In Bay Island is a very quaint place, gentlemanly old style racing, under 2 Liters and no later than IIRC '65 maybe earlier but BE's are eligible. Details are here https://www.pibroadrace.com/ Then back to Bugsy.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
And a new gaiter arrived today for Bugsy IV along with a new Turn Signal Switch as I buggered up the old one last weekend. Will be two weeks before I can even start I'm off to the Put In Bay Road Race Reunion on Lake Erie. Races are Monday and Tuesday, Drive Up and Site Seeing on Saturday, Cedar Point for Roller Coasters on Sunday, and hop the ferry out to the island on Monday AM. Races start at 10:00 and run until 5:00 and then they do it again on Tuesday. Beautiful weather forecasted. Put In Bay Island is a very quaint place, gentlemanly old style racing, under 2 Liters and no later than IIRC '65 maybe earlier but BE's are eligible. Details are here https://www.pibroadrace.com/ Then back to Bugsy.

Have fun at Put in Bay - a friend of mine keeps saying I need to go. If you see a fellow in his light 50's slim build with shoulder length grey hair driving a Saab or a Volvo 240 wagon - his name is Keith Price - say hi to him for me.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Have fun at Put in Bay - a friend of mine keeps saying I need to go. If you see a fellow in his light 50's slim build with shoulder length grey hair driving a Saab or a Volvo 240 wagon - his name is Keith Price - say hi to him for me.

Ooo - just realized there is every likelyhood he will be driving a very early TR7

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
JP if I run into him I'll tell him you said Hi. I did run into the artist behind last year's Put In Bay Race Poster Bob Colaizzi. Turns out he lives here in Dayton. He was telling me stories of racing he MG-TD. 3 different Alfas, and finally a Lotus Super 7. Races all over the country and won a few races along the way. after a crash this last year at age 81, requiring a plate in his collar bone, his wife made him give up racing. He was evidently pretty good at it as well telling me a story about Winning at Watkins Glen in the last year of so with his Lotus. A really true fun to sit down and talk with kind of guy. So anyway I went to his house tonight and picked up this poster. I thought it is going to be a great addition to the artwork around my house. $60 signed by the artist 13 x 19. www.colaizzidesign.com. Hey JP come on down, from Toronto 6 h 32 m if you go through Detroit or 7 minutes longer to go through Buffalo. It's going to be a great weekend on Lake Erie and I'm told the races are fabulous. I'll be there on Monday for practice and qualifying races.
View attachment 50131

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Great poster - I know I am actually closish but, end of the holidays with my beloved I am not really in a hurray to make a big drive.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Well plan for next year JP.