Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
I cleaned up my pistons last night. I saw a .04 on top of the pistons and assumed that these were 86mm or 87mm. I measure the diamete of the pistons and liners. It measures 83mm. The pistons have 4 rings. What size of pistons do I have?
It's not easy, but it is possible to bore out the liners. And presumably that's what you have: original 83mm TR3 liners, bored out .040" and fited with .040" over original-style pistons.
The diameter at the top (where the rings are) is less than the skirt. Measure at the skirt, both parallel to the pin and 90* to it. Should ba a bit "oval" but the 90* reading will be close to the bore + clearance.
My pistons have 4 rings. The are Hepolite pistons with 83 mm diameter (1991 cc displacement). I changed the rings after they had been running for 93,000 miles and put the same pistons and liners (newly honed) back in and it's been better than new for the next 4,000 miles.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.