• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 '73 Distributor Cap Brush

WJKB-TR6

Freshman Member
On a drive the other day at 55 mph for about 20 minutes with volt meter reading 14-14.5, engine shuts down. Pulled off to shoulder, tried restart; nothing. Checked the distributor cap to find that the brush has completely disintegrated with what appears to be burnt areas where it was housed. Got car towed home, installed new cap and rotor; started up on first try. Questions??? Was the cap defective? Is there an electrical issue that needs to be addressed? Your comments will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Deteriorated Brush 1-4-2021.jpg
    Deteriorated Brush 1-4-2021.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 140
  • Voltage Meter    1-4-2021.jpg
    Voltage Meter 1-4-2021.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 133

TRopic6

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Aloha Willy - Howzit? How does the contact surface of the rotor look? I had something similar happen and checked the cap after it started missing. The brush had broken and was not making contact with the rotor. I found & cut a suitable length of solid copper wire (more like a pin) and was able to drive around for a few weeks. I got some ebay NOS Lucas brushes and replaced the copper wire later. Your carbon brush must have cracked or failed somehow and the spring in the cap that keeps it in contact with the rotor must have been passing the high voltage...until it became too short. Once the contact surface gets rough it would wear the carbon brush pretty quick.

I still hope to get back out there some post-Covid day. Hows the rail project coming?

Jeff

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I have not seen that fail and that is a part I have not carried but is food for though. I do carry and extra rotor and polish the top at times. I am of the school that if you carry and extra part that part will not fail.
A few years ago just before winter I bought a new snow shovel. At the end of the season I went back to Lowes and told them it worked great we had no snow worth shoveling so thank you. Madflyer

OP
WJKB-TR6

WJKB-TR6

Freshman Member
Aloha Jeff! Thanks for your comments and thankful it's not another electrical problem. The housing area appeared too burnt to receive a new brush and spring. The spring also appears to be melted in there. The contact surface was black with soot but no pitting. I cleaned up the rotor and will keep it as a spare. For now, it is running well with the new cap and rotor.

Looking forward to that day! You can then pick up your hub caps and other parts I have stored for you. We have had a wonderful December with warm sunny skies and little to no rain.

We are now on the last segment of the rail from Middle St. to Ala Moana Shopping Center. Project is over budget, behind schedule, and with a newly appointed CEO. It will prevail and when completed, I will ride it the first opportunity I get.

Mahalo, Willy

OP
WJKB-TR6

WJKB-TR6

Freshman Member
Hi Madflyer! Your comments are much appreciated. I have taken your words to heart and have now started a survivor's kit. First in; Distributor Cap and rotor!

Thanks, Willy

JwilliTR6

Freshman Member
Years ago I had a similar issue (car suddenly stalling) with a 76 TR6. Long story short, the insulation on the points wiring had frayed and was shorting to ground. Electrical tape solved the issue until I could replace.

Last edited: