• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

72 vs 60 spoke wheels

doughairfield

Jedi Trainee
I'm going to convert my 64 T4 from steel wheels over to some new spoke wheels and new tires. I want something that will be good for a daily driver, but also capable for a few vintage rallies every year or a trip up to VIR.

I'm looking at Dayton 60 spoke or 72 spoke wheels. The 60 was an original option on my car, but from what I can tell, the 72 will give me a little more strength and is about an inch wider allowing me to put some fatter rubber on there.

My question is, are there any downsides to going with the 72 spoke rim from Dayton? From what I can tell, there won't be any issues with fitting inside the fender wells or a degradation in turning radius with a 185/70/15 tire.

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
The bigger tires and 70 spoke wheels will be fine for a daily driver but will get point deductions (I think) for both wheels and tires if submitted to the judges, which, of course, I not do. Tom

Twosheds

Darth Vader
Somewhat heavier unsprung weight.

CinneaghTR

Jedi Warrior
For your requirements, I would go with the 72s. You'll have a wider tire and the wheel will be a bit stronger. If you want even stronger wires, supposedly center-laced wires fit the bill, but I don't know if Dayton offers those and I don't think they look as good.

I've fixed a few broken spokes on my Moss/Dunlop/India 60s, which can be a PITA. Having said that, I prefer the 60s and the narrower width because it is authentic. Oh, and they came with the car...

The bigger rubber will fit (they do on the later TRs, right?).

And yeah, if you can, get over to Greensboro (stay off of I-40/I-85 if you're going in the TR!), Hendrix will set you up. Be sure to get the 5lb lead hammer for the knockoffs, too. Their website has some very useful information, too.

Also, get the wheel cleaning kit with the brush from Griot's. It makes it so much easier cleaning wires.

Good luck!

OP
doughairfield

doughairfield

Jedi Trainee
Hey, that's some great advice. I live about and hours drive from Hendrix so I can easily drive there. I had not heard about the cleaning kit, I'll make sure to pick that up too.

I spoke with Allen the other day and he also recommended the 72 spoke with a 185 tyre for my plans of daily driver and a few weekend rallies, so I think based on his recommendation and what I've seen here, that's what i'm gonna do.

Unfortunately, I got a call from Allen late yesterday afternoon and he said that 72 spoke wheels were on back order from all the major suppliers, Moss, TRF, etc, so I've got about a 2 month wait. And as we all know, the waiting is the hardest part. I was really hoping to have the wheels on the TR4 in time for the British Car Show on the 14th up at North Hills in Raleigh, but it doesn't look like that's gonna happen by a long shot. Guess this give me plenty of time to get my front suspension rebuilt, and possibly add a front sway bar.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
It is no doubt an extravangance (but then so is the car itself to some extent) but I alternate between a set of 60-spoke wires with 165s and a wide set of alloys with 195s.

wires-4.JPG

JAPearce%203.JPG

I'm much slower than an Indy pit crew but still it does not take long to swap the set. In case it isn't apparent, I am using the long studs with 6mm spacers for the wires.