Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
I had my drums off the other day and for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to move the adjuster to loosen or tighten the pads. How does that work?
Upland
Wind it in until yiu hear the shoes just barely start to scrape when you rotate the wheels than back off a smidgeon. Oh and BTW - if this car has set for a long time, chances are this adjuster may be frozen up. Some heat and PB Blaster will help to gt it unstuck. A 1/4" or 3/8" wrench is needed. Easy to round off the square head so use the correct wrench. And I swear I one of these on one LBC that had a metric square head on it.
I will second the rusted on, and that was my first thought when I read the original post. How does this thing work since nothing seems to want to move. Yeah, heat and PBBlaster, I seem to recall Spridget adjusters being bad offenders for getting corroded on. Is also easy to round the corners if stuck or the wrench doesn't fit right.
Keep with PB Blaster for several days, keep applying, “Patience Grasshopper” or your will totally F it up. Several more days of PB Blaster or whoever is your favorite deruster and then get out the propane torch. That will likely fix it. Oh and order 2 new adjusting screws.
All your info was really helpful, I'm kinda embarrassed to say I was thinking it adjusted from the front of the plate, and couldn't figure out how to move it!
All your info was really helpful, I'm kinda embarrassed to say I was thinking it adjusted from the front of the plate, and couldn't figure out how to move it!
we've all made those kind of assumptions - which is why this forum is so great - we all remember when we were new (mostly ) in the answering of questions.
When working on a car with an offending adjuster and other brake work that needs doing i take those adjusters out and clean everything really well before re-assembling them with Never seize. A Liberal coating and you never have trouble again.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.