Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
Anybody ever see a Devin at a racetrack back in the day? A fiberglass body on a 3 chassis would make for a good power to weight ratio and I'm wondering how successfull they were on the track. The wheel wells look a little odd to me....have they been cut out or are they supposed to look like that? Karl
Never saw one back in the day. If it could be gotten for the right price, it would be a neat project. Since the car has no engine or tranny, it's sitting high, so maybe that is why the wheel wells look 'un-filled'.
As I recall the basic Devin body was adaptable to a wide variety of chassis and powertrains. They aso made a complete car with a frame from the UK maybe Ireland or Scotland, and a Chevy V-8, which was very competitive until the Scarabs and purpose built mid engine sports racers like the Loti and Lolas came along.
When I was a teenager they were still in business mostly selling bodies for a VW chassis. I remember trying to figure out if I could scrape up enough cash to buy one and build a modified VW motor to go with it.
My friend has a Devin body that came with a steel tube frame with Sprite running gear. The body is in two pieces split at the rear door post. I assumed that this is to allow the body to telescope to fit different wheelbase frames. The doors and rocker panels would be trimmed to fit. Is this correct?
I looked at a Devin TR3 to buy once in the early eighties. It had a V-6 engine in it and came with the original body and engine. However, I could see where someone had cut the frame away to allow clearance for the V-6. This scared me off. I didn't have a place to put it anyway.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.