• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

59 BE just sold at Barrett Jackson

• Thread starter Deleted member 9684
  • Start date

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
the description is brief but, if a true restoration, I bet he didn't make a lot of profit at that price.

sqbsprite

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Wow. Just looking under the bonnet I can see many things that are not correct. I don't think I have ever seen a green wiper motor. I had better not say any more. Just don't use these pics as a reference.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag

sqbsprite

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
That's nice. If you're not going back original just go all out. Lots of pricey parts on this one.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I'm going to a Barret-Jackson party at a friend's house tomorrow night. We do it every year...about 20 of us.

None of us can afford the darn cars, but we can dream!
grin.gif

RyanBez

Jedi Hopeful
If that goes for 14k I think I can get a decent amount for mine one day...when it is done that is.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I corresponded with the seller of that highly modified Sprite (which seems more like a weekend racer to me). He sent me many more photos. It really is an impressive thing... if that's your thing. It's a fresh project and, wow, gobs of goodies (though I don't care for the lowered look). The guy I corresponded with was the friend of the seller (a very nice fellow), and the seller sort of had to sell it (likely for loss given his labor). The 5 speed and engine were fresh... as are the brakes and all the add-ons. I saw a photo of the car pre-"restoration" and the work is impressive. He would have taken $14,500 (there on the west side of Chicago). Obviously, it's been shipped to Arizona, and if they get only $14K, it will surely be a serious loss. When I add up the supercharger, coolers, auxiliary pumps, brakes, suspension mods, transmission, hard-top, roll-bars and other goodies, it would be a good deal at that price (again, if that's your thing). It doesn't have the wiper-motor (so-as to provide room for the new brake/clutch master cylinders), and no heater. It will be interesting to see what it goes for in a day.

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
Reasonable money for a nice stock Sprite, if that's your thing.
:wink:
Personally I prefer my Sprite to be a hot rod. In the vein of form follows function, I like the lowered look.
It will be interesting to see if the modified Sprite brings stock car money.
My Sprite, while pretty modified, is still a fun street car.
It hasn't lost any drive-ability and, from my perspective,
is a more drivable sports car with some warming up.
Looks like the red one had a lot of thought to an over all
package. Not just a pretty face. Not just an engine. Nice
package. I bet it is a HOOT to drive.
:driving:
I like it. I'd guess about 14-15 for it as well.
I know I wouldn't take that for mine but then again mine
is priceless.
:jester:

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
One problem (for me anyway) is that the clearance was 3.5" (at the front)... but different tires would bring it up a good inch. I'll bet it's VERY fast and, as you say, a hoot to drive. The dash had assorted auxiliary controls (such as for the supercharger - with pressure gauge, etc.). The disks were cross-drilled and the shocks and adjustable suspension parts looked nicely done. As I recall, there were 2 roll-bars (one on it now and one a taller "competition" one). Heck the Corbeau seats alone were probably worth $500.
Interesting how they added ventilation to the wheelwells and then from the left wheelwell to the carb (for cooling related to the supercharger). There was also an auxilliary water-pump. It had a Crane electronic ignition and, heck, there were a few things I didn't even recognize!

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
Boink said:
One problem (for me anyway) is that the clearance was 3.5" (at the front)... but different tires would bring it up a good inch. I'll bet it's VERY fast and, as you say, a hoot to drive. The dash had assorted auxiliary controls (such as for the supercharger - with pressure gauge, etc.). The disks were cross-drilled and the shocks and adjustable suspension parts looked nicely done. As I recall, there were 2 roll-bars (one on it now and one a higher competition one). Heck the Corbeau seats alone were probably worth $500.
Interesting how they added ventilation to the wheelwells and then from the left wheelwell to the carb (for cooling related to the supercharger). There was also an auxilliary water-pump. It had a Crane electronic ignition and, heck, there were a few things I didn't even recognize!

Man, I feel sorry for the builder. What a neat car.
Rarely do modifications get $ for $. Usually it's
a no return or even a loss. Hobbies are like that.
I bet it was fun to build.
Reading the list...WOW....some person may get a great deal tomorrow.
Or....$$$$$
Right two motivated buyers and ya never know.
Maybe the builder was on to something?

Hope he makes a bundle.
:cheers:

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Indeed. The right buyers/bidders and it could get good money... otherwise, I hate to think about it (given the shipping that happened and any costs of the auction). As an aside, I felt a bit sorry of the seller (as he was selling off a few of his cars - and might have had some health issues)... and I hasten to add that I'm presuming it's the same original seller (though I suppose it could have quickly changed hands). My wife wasn't keen on my having it. :smile: The photos that I received showed a HUGE amount of work (and the progress photos were impressive). I'd <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">LOVE </span></span></span>to have it as a second BE, and I'll be tuning in to see what it finally goes for. :yesnod:

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Nice little BE, not an accurate like it was new restoration but a very nice driver. Prob priced about right.

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
darn, I should have just held out for a modded BE like that one, its perfect in my opinion. But then again, I wouldn't be having so much fun building mine. Oh, wait, I mixed fun with frustration :smile:

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
bugedd said:
Oh, wait, I mixed fun with frustration :smile:

a common affliction around here to be sure. :cheers:

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
The restoration shots (most of which I still have) are impressive. The guy that did the work (a fellow named Charles) really poured a lot into the car. Wish I'd kept all the photos I had. Don't think I could legitmately post them here (as I don't have permission - though they were on both Craigslist and eBay).

sqbsprite

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
bug_sixty said:
So what else do you see.. Can't find anything myself..
Regarding the first post.

All could be easily corrected. Incorrect wiring harness, hose clamps, radiator overflow hose, bonnet braces should be white, radiator upright supports should be black, ignition coil and connectors. Probably other things if I could see the other side.

I'm not being critical at all. It is very clean and would be very easy to complete.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Boink said:
And this is due for auction on Saturday at Russo & Steele (in Scotsdale), with no reserve: https://www.russoandsteele.com/collector-car/1959-Austin-Healey-Bug-Eye-Sprite/14001
It was for sale in the Chicago area back in early October (for $14,500). Looks like $10,000+ in parts!

Wow... that was exciting! I watched the auction on-line and the Sprite JUST sold (here at 2pm PST). <span style="font-weight: bold">Went for $15,500.</span>

As is typical, they started at $40K and quickly dropped to $10K. Then it inched up in $500 increments... stalling a bit at $14K (which is about where the seller was on eBay - and I could have had it at $14.5K). Somebody got a nice car.