• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A 57 TR3 Newbie...No spark? Basket case

Beerzz

Owned it for 15 years and it has sat in a damp shop, bought it from a field and never heard it run. My son and I race autocross and decided to bring it back from the dead and race it for fun. Trying to get spark and get the motor to run before we remove it and move forward. I have juice to the coil and it turns over. I want to get parts ordered, but I could use some help first. I bought a new coil (12 volt internal ballast) and nothing. The car is pos ground, and Im not sure, but ran the neg to the dist. Still nothing. Need some advice please. Sorry for the long post.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Sounds like points may need cleaning. small piece of #600 wet-or-dry folded so you can work it thru the points while they're closed.

Tho 15 years sitting static is a looong time.

Welcome to the forum, too! And I really like your choice of username! :wink: :cheers:

OP
B

Beerzz

Thanks, I tried sanding the points, thinking about getting some ignition parts from the Roadster Factory?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Try NAPA first if you want to get stuff now. "Standard" makes good iggy bits, replacements for Lucas are listed.

PeterK

Yoda
I'd guess the points are shorted to ground. There's a plastic insulator on the post the the points mounts to. If installed incorrectly, no spark. Look closely.

germanmichel

Jedi Hopeful
Hello Beerzz,
check additional the following items:
- opening clearance of the points should be approx 0,4mm. Try to find out the exact factory value.
- rotating of the distributor rotor (Is the inner nose on place ?)
- ingnition sequence of the spark plugs.
- dry and clean the inner side of the distributor cap seriously. If there are some minor cracks on the inner side, it is possible that the arcs diden`t find the right way to the spark plugs
-check the electric connections on coil and distributor also inside the distributor (the wire to the capacitor)
- is the capacitor ok ( 15 years....)
- does the carbon brush in the distributor cap connect to the rotor ?

I think ,if your voltage current is ok and the motor turns fast enough it should be run .

Good luck .

Bye michel- who would like to develope his english

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
PeterK said:
...There's a plastic insulator on the post the the points mounts to. If installed incorrectly, no spark. Look closely.

I agree, that would be the first thing I'd check since you say "never heard it run".

That little 3-layer cake that stacks the points, the condensor wire and the flex wire from the coil needs to be insulated from the nut that secures it. Sometimes a 2-piece insulator, sometimes the 2 sections are joined by a little strap.

points.JPG

OP
B

Beerzz

Thanks for the help guys, I will try again tonight.

OP
B

Beerzz

Interesting.....Thanks

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Geo Hahn said:
PeterK said:
...There's a plastic insulator on the post the the points mounts to. If installed incorrectly, no spark. Look closely.

I agree, that would be the first thing I'd check since you say "never heard it run".

That little 3-layer cake that stacks the points, the condensor wire and the flex wire from the coil needs to be insulated from the nut that secures it. Sometimes a 2-piece insulator, sometimes the 2 sections are joined by a little strap.

points.JPG

:iagree: Yep - same with the connection on the plate where the condenser wire attaches. Usual suspects.

And welcome to the party!

Mickey

OP
B

Beerzz

Thanks I have huge spark now...I saw a little smoke come out of the dist when I just tested it. Removed the wires and put the insulator nylon thru the condenser and coil feed wire and hit the solenoid button and ZAP! Great spark! Super effort!

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
Maybe you need to try one of the new red rotors. If yours is toast, try any other TR rotor you may have on hand but get a new red one. The black repro rotors are junk and become conductive to ground like a distributor in a rain storm..

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Don said:
The black repro rotors are junk and become conductive to ground like a distributor in a rain storm..

SURELY you meant like a <span style="font-weight: bold">TR-bloody-Three</span> dizzy in a rainstorm, Don?!? :jester: :devilgrin:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Glad ya got to th' bottom of it, Ben!

deadair

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Beerzz said:
Thanks I have huge spark now...I saw a little smoke come out of the dist when I just tested it. Removed the wires and put the insulator nylon thru the condenser and coil feed wire and hit the solenoid button and ZAP! Great spark! Super effort!

Were you able to get the engine started?

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
DrEntropy said:
Don said:
The black repro rotors are junk and become conductive to ground like a distributor in a rain storm..

SURELY you meant like a <span style="font-weight: bold">TR-bloody-Three</span> dizzy in a rainstorm, Don?!? :jester: :devilgrin:
Actually, I think he meant "BMC Distributor".... :jester:

And without trying to sound politically correct, color has nothing to do with quality of rotors. There are good new rotors out there that happen to be molded in black (Peter Caldwell of NOS Imports sells them -- NFI, just a very satisfied customer who can now keep all his very old used Lucas rotors in the glovebox rather than constantly lending them out to MGA-owning friends who burn through the cheap new ones).

OP
B

Beerzz

Thanks, will do!
Ben

OP
B

Beerzz

Going to try to start it tonight, thinking about pre lubing the top end first. Just to help thingz along. Im not sure why it was parked outside forever, dead. So I don't know if it a runner of a dead soldier. (god bless the vets) I will let you know what the next problem is. Thanks guys!

deadair

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I read somewhere that it's best to spray in a bunch of WD-40 or Mystery Oil, turning the engine over a few times by hand, and letting it sit overnight before starting it up.

In any event, I'd encourage you to video the momentous occasion. It would make a great You Tube video.

ekamm

Jedi Warrior
Spray some kind of lube through the spark plug holes and look at the fuel system chances are good that the pump is shot and any thing in the tank should come out. pull the carb bowls and clean( spray the flat needles with a little cleaner) as well as checking and filling the dampers. Ya and video is a must and post it on here that is the best entertainment for us!