• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

50 years ago today

Nelson

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
On this date back in 1962 a fellow airman drove me from my Air Force base in England to a place called The Cape in Warwick. He dropped me off at the door of Donald Healey's car dealership. I went inside to sign the final papers and take delivery of my new Mark 2 Sprite. While I was waiting to get the car I watched a mechanic assemble my license plates. He inserted the plastic numbers and letters into the metal plates and secured them by using a soldering iron to melt the tabs sticking out the back of the plate. When everything was ready to go I drove happily away. As a 24 year old this was my first brand new car and I was really excited. The happiness didn't last. About half way back to my base the car started slowing down until it just stopped running. It didn't take long to realize that my "petrol" tank was on empty. A passing motorist saw me standing next to the car and he pulled over. He was kind enough to drive me ten miles to the nearest town and then back with a can of fuel. When I took the car back for the 500 mile check the folks at Healey's gave me the full tank that they had neglected to give me initially. I drove my Sprite for almost a year in England and then Donald Healey's place arranged the shipping of it to the States. When I picked it up in Philadelphia I quickly found out that I was no longer in England. As I drove off, the first car I encountered was driving straight at me. Driving on the left side of the road had become automatic after having done it for three years.

Now I'm going go raise a glass of Guiness as a toast to a car I had never intended to own this long.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Nelson, that is too cool! Congratulations and happy anniversary!
Rut

TulsaFred

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Never met anyone who has owned a car that long. Awesome story.

Fred

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Congrats Nelson - and I suspect the car is in better shape now than when you got it! (Kathy too :smile: )
:cheers:

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Very cool, got pics of the car to post?

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Fantastic story, and amazing that you've had that little car all these years. Heck, that's 10 years more than I've been alive.
grin.gif

OP
Nelson

Nelson

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Bugedd,
My restoration history in Webshots as posted in my signature for my postings.

nomad

Yoda
Enjoyed visiting with you at the "50th", Nelson, and hearing the history first hand. And the car appears as pretty today as when Donalds works handed it over-- maybe better.

Kurt

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Nelson said:
Now I'm going go raise a glass of Guiness as a toast to a car I had never intended to own this long.

Great story! Congrats Nelson. I'll raise a glass for you too. My son and I brew our own ale (well, he does, I just help bottle it). :cheers:

Jer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Good Stuff Nelson,what a great story - it was great to meet you, Cathy & Little Moe this summer at Midget 50th !

ArkleyOkie

Freshman Member
Great story. Congratulations. It's been "only" 43 years since as an airman stationed on the other side of the world at Hickham AFB that I picked up my MK IV from Doc White Motors. I have little doubt that my car will survive 7 more years to make it 50. I just hope I do!