• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A 4A Overflow Bottle Bracket

CinneaghTR

Jedi Warrior
I have some follow up questions from the radiator duct hardware inquiry I had. Thanks to the guys that helped me with that.

What type of hardware holds the overflow bottle bracket to the fender well? I have two screws, the pointy kind, just driven into the sheet metal. I did not find a number or illustration of the actual hardware spec in the SPC.

I am also painting the bracket body color, but am thinking it should be black.

Thanks for humoring my picky questions!

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Sorry Jeremy. No help from this corner. Mine isn't like the one in the SPC - never realized I had an incorrect one.

PeterK

Yoda
Here is a photo from the net that I kept as reference

Attachments

• 21266.jpg
    21266.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 321

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Jeremy,

I checked my cars and it should be an L-bracket with a relatively large hole in the lower part of the bracket. That lower part should be mounted under the radiator bracket and the bolt that fastens down the radiator also holds the overflow bottle bracket as well. That's why there is no additional hardware listed in the SPC.

Note that is based on my untouched car. The car I restored has the same bracket but looks like I chose to install it under the nut that holds down the front body mount point. I'd bet my untouched car is correct and I just didn't catch that when I restored the original one.

Note that TRF has this bracket listed (142804) for $14.95.

Scott

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
This overflow bottle for the TR4 was also used for the washer liquid for the windscreens on some TR3As. My 1958 TR3A came new with a "dealer=installed" "Trafalgar" bottle (moulded into the side of the white plastic bottle). The bracket is held to the inner fender (in my case) with two sheet-metal screws amd there is a large "L" where the bottle sits on the bottom horizontal bit of the "L". Then a "belly" band goes all around the bottle about half way up and is clamped togeter with a 10-32 UNF screw and nut.

Attachments

• 21271.jpg
    21271.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 298

PeterK

Yoda
No you've got it right but Don posted a photo of his TR3A washer bottle which is altogether different from a TR4A overflow.

btw- My Trafalger windscreen reservoir is also a completely different size and top opening than the TR4A radiator overflow. But Don's does indeed look like my TR4A overflow used as for washer fluid.

PatGalvin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Not to hijack this thread but does anyone have a radiator overflow bottle rigged up on their TR3? If so, where was it mounted? Thanks

Pat

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
My 'project' TR3 had one, mounted to the LH inner wing. Cheesy aftermarket thing, it promptly went in the trash.

Next time I have the front apron off, though, I think I'll mount one from a later Triumph in a more-or-less inaccessible (and invisible) location next to the radiator.

Although, given how much trouble I've had with the TR3 filler extension cracking where it meets the upper tank, it would probably be smarter to just eliminate it and go to a pressurized reservoir ala early Vitesse/Sports 6
https://www.canleyclassics.com/?xhtml=xht...xsl=diagram.xsl

HerronScott

Darth Vader
PeterK said:
No you've got it right but Don posted a photo of his TR3A washer bottle which is altogether different from a TR4A overflow.

Peter,

I believe Jeremy does have the wrong mounting location for his as he he said his was mounted with 2 sheet metal screws into the sheet metal.

Of course we need pictures.... :smile:

Scott

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I'm not a source for the 'correct' install but FWIW I did hang the original style TR4A bottle on my TR4 using and existing bolt (possibly the one for the rear of the p/s overrider brace).

TR4%20Rad%20Duct.JPG

Looks like I made a little spacer block out of 1x2 MDF painted black to keep it tidy. Looking at that photo... maybe I used a longer bolt than original and used the existing hole & nut.

Must be close to the correct spot (aren't too many places to put it) and it works great (using original cap)

I never did on eon the TR3 as the original cap (IIRC) doesn't work w/o modification... plus it has that expansion tank built nto the neck. On the late TR4 with no neck and no overflow the coolant level can be pretty far down from the rad neck in a cool condition.

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Here's a picture of just the mounting bracket (I pulled the bottle out) and where it's mounted on my untouched car. On the one I restored, I mounted it under the nut to the right for some reason.

dcp_1778.jpg

Scott

OP
CinneaghTR

CinneaghTR

Jedi Warrior
Thanks again, Scott. My bracket is not mounted there. This is what I am thinking: I have the TRF bracket listed for the 4-6 range. That 14... number Scott mentioned earlier does come up, but it does not in the cooling special catalog.

I just ordered the Moss, which does have separate part #s for both brackets, and will see what I get.

I'll update you guys with pictures after the weekend so stay tuned.

Attachments

• 21282.jpg
    21282.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 226

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Jeremy,

Looks like TRF made a mistake in the cooling system special catalog. If you search the parts database for the 713544 it only shows being applicable to the TR5-TR250-TR6.

Here's the description from the parts database for 713544.

T56 BRACKET,RAD OVERFLOW BOTTL Bracket, overflow bottle

Scott