• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

400 mile road trip in the 4-door Spridget

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Last weekend we joined my local British car club (https://www.bmcutah.org) in our annual Memorial Day weekend tour. This year we went up to Montpelier, ID (on the north end of Bear Lake) which for us meant about a 400 mile round trip. This trip was why I have been working so hard over the last two months to get Maggie back up and running. For the last few years I haven't had a running British car, and with three of them under my care now I was determined to drive one, and really wanted to take the Morris. All the efforts paid off, and we had a great trip!

Maggie ran really well. Temp stayed steady over the mountain passes, and she didn't miss a beat. On the way home we opted for the quicker route which had us at freeway speeds of 70MPH for about 100 miles. She just purred right along. Oil level stayed good (though the rear axle leaks a bit, have to have something drip) -- the Moss spin-on oil filter adaptor I installed a week before the trip made all the difference. The back seat (and back doors) made for easy packing too. She's turned into a pretty nice touring car with the mods she has (1275, 5-speed, Spridget front disc brakes).

If nothing else, Maggie is the tallest car in our group, so she's easy to find in the parking lot.

I need to give a shout-out to Gerard for all his help over the last few months. He rebuilt the transmission (and I'm using one of his 5-speed kits and hydraulic clutch kits), and answered numerous questions as I figured out all the little details. There's no question that I wouldn't have gotten it done without his assistance. :cheers:

montbmcu_-_1.jpg

montbmcu_-_2.jpg

montbmcu_-_3.jpg

montbmcu_-_4.jpg

montbmcu_-_5.jpg

montbmcu_-_6.jpg

montbmcu_-_7.jpg

nomad

Yoda
You're turning me into a minor fan!:rolleye:

Kurt.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
You're turning me into a minor fan!:rolleye:

Kurt.

well I am a major minor fan! great pics though I had to chuckle when a Minor is described as "touring car" - everything is relative! :grin: I have mentioned this before I know - in 1959 or so my mother and her sister bought a Minor (called Dinky) for $250 and drove it from Vancouver to Toronto through the the USA - no pics sadly but they had so much fun.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
You're turning me into a minor fan!

I've been turning myself into one as well. This is one tough little car. Keeps up with the big guys pretty well, even up here in the mountains. I bought it because it looked interesting and shared a lot of Spridget bits, but as I've had more chance to drive it I've really come to like it. She's a keeper.

well I am a major minor fan! great pics though I had to chuckle when a Minor is described as "touring car" - everything is relative! :grin:

On this tour with a bunch of low-slung MGs, Triumphs, and Healeys the little Minor was the "big" car. Certainly the tallest car amongst the classics we toured with. So much extra space! :grin:

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I think I am on the Minor bandwagon as well. I love the look and style. It is so retro!

By the time mine was built (1966) it was certainly retro. A friend of mine has a 1965 Triumph 2000 sedan -- it looks believably current as a mid-60's car. Seeing them side-by-side it's hard to grasp that my Minor is *newer*.

I'm a big fan of early 50's American car shapes -- and the Minor is that same shape, just smaller. And right hand drive, of course. :grin:

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Drew,

So glad to hear your tour went so well and that you had clear sailing all the way. As your finding out, the Morris is a great little car to go touring in, and as fun to drive as a Sprite.

I know making this event was really important to you, so I'm glad we were able to get everything done and all the bugs ironed out well ahead of time. :cheers:

Now if I can get this Traveller finished in time for Hot August Nights! :hammer:

Last weekend we joined my local British car club (https://www.bmcutah.org) in our annual Memorial Day weekend tour. This year we went up to Montpelier, ID (on the north end of Bear Lake) which for us meant about a 400 mile round trip. This trip was why I have been working so hard over the last two months to get Maggie back up and running. For the last few years I haven't had a running British car, and with three of them under my care now I was determined to drive one, and really wanted to take the Morris. All the efforts paid off, and we had a great trip!

Maggie ran really well. Temp stayed steady over the mountain passes, and she didn't miss a beat. On the way home we opted for the quicker route which had us at freeway speeds of 70MPH for about 100 miles. She just purred right along. Oil level stayed good (though the rear axle leaks a bit, have to have something drip) -- the Moss spin-on oil filter adaptor I installed a week before the trip made all the difference. The back seat (and back doors) made for easy packing too. She's turned into a pretty nice touring car with the mods she has (1275, 5-speed, Spridget front disc brakes).

If nothing else, Maggie is the tallest car in our group, so she's easy to find in the parking lot.

I need to give a shout-out to Gerard for all his help over the last few months. He rebuilt the transmission (and I'm using one of his 5-speed kits and hydraulic clutch kits), and answered numerous questions as I figured out all the little details. There's no question that I wouldn't have gotten it done without his assistance. :cheers:

montbmcu_-_1.jpg

nomad

Yoda
I believe that about a million Minor's were built and sold all over the world. I read an article years ago about a young couple that drove a Minor around the world. They picked the Minor because they figured they could get parts for it about anywhere. Proved to be correct since they started there trip with a far from pristine example.

Kurt.

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
That's correct, actually, well over a million. In fact, there was a special edition to commemorate the Millionth Minor. It was the first British car to exceed a production figure of 1 million. Oddly enough, it was a Minor Million, not a Minor 1000. They came with a bonnet badge with 3 extra zeros. Chassis number began with 1,000,000, so it's easy to determine fist to last pf production, first one being December 22, 1960. There were only 350 ever produced, all 2 door saloons, and they only came in one color... Lilac, with white interior with lilac piping.

Minors remained in production in some model or other until around 1972, and what was largely a Morris Minor remained in production until a couple years ago in the way of the Hindustan; the most commonly used vehicle as a taxi in India.

I know a couple people that have Millions. One that has been featured a lot is in Reno.

AZ15_r116_021.jpgmorris-minor-1-million.jpgSEMIL001.jpg

I believe that about a million Minor's were built and sold all over the world. I read an article years ago about a young couple that drove a Minor around the world. They picked the Minor because they figured they could get parts for it about anywhere. Proved to be correct since they started there trip with a far from pristine example.

Kurt.

nomad

Yoda
Jeese, JP, that's great stuff. I'm addicted to old British Pathe film clips! Makes me want to round up a Minor and head north!!:joyous:

Kurt.