• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

360 degree protractor

JKB1957

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
This may be a dumb question, but where do you get a 360 degree protractor to set you cam/engine timing? I looked at the online parts lists for several of the big auto parts chains but they don't seem to have them. Or I couldn't find them on their site. Any ideas would be helpful.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
I got mine from a local speed shop. They are available on line (Pegasus, Summit, etc) if you can't find a local speed shop. It's called a degree wheel.

Edit: You can print this out and make your own.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Any cam vendor will sell you a "degree wheel" that bolts to the end of the crankshaft. Then you'll need to fabricate a pointer (from old coat-hanger wire or whatever is handy), and calibrate it to TDC.

I didn't like the small plastic degree wheel I got from Moss, so my second one came from Crane Cams.
https://www.cranecams.com/?show=browsePar...tNumber=99162-1

Of course there are other approaches. One is to wrap a piece of paper around the front pulley to get an exact length, then use your computer & printer to print a scale in just the right size. Glue it to your pulley and Bob's yer uncle.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
And the venerable ebay has a bunch of them too if you want to look at a few options.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Mine's an old "MrGasket" one. A thing to keep in mind is: the larger the diameter, the more accurately you can dial in the beastie.