• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

3000 BJ8 For sale in LA need PPI

Kabuki

Freshman Member
Hello.

Im interested in an 3000 BJ8 Healey offered by an dealer in Los Angeles. I would generally never buy a car from an dealer, but the car seems really good at an OK price.
The problem is, Im in germany right now and have only friends in the SoCal area who are familiar with Porsches, so I would need a Pre-Purchase-Inspection by someone who really knows about Big Healeys.

Its a virtually unrestored, unmolested car and even the undercarriage does look rust free.

I called the dealer already, but the guy was lets say "not very helpful".
So who knows a good trustworthy person in the Santa Monica area who would check the car for me ?

Thanks for any advise !
Regards, Alex

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
See if Greg can do it I ust had eye surgery

OP
K

Kabuki

Freshman Member
Keoke,
can you give me the contact informations from Greg, please ?
Im new to the forum.

Thanks,
Alex

Country flag
Screen name here is GregW.

He hasn't posted as much as he used to (ever since he bought that ///M Coupe...) but he pops in now and then, so he's monitoring the boards.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
richberman said:
Keoke,
Isn't that supposed to make your eyes better?

Vheck your E Mail you have aOM--Keoke

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
richberman said:
Keoke,
Isn't that supposed to make your eyes better?

Eyes don't know it.-- :laugh:

OP
K

Kabuki

Freshman Member
Randy Forbes said:
Screen name here is GregW.

He hasn't posted as much as he used to (ever since he bought that ///M Coupe...) but he pops in now and then, so he's monitoring the boards.

I send him an email yesterday early without response so far. But he wasnt around on this forum since days ether as you mentioned.
The car is still for sale so I will keep you guys posed.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Hi Alex,
I looked at the photos Chequered Flag posted on their ad and I think "unmolested" is just plain false. HERE is the link for everyone else. Both floor pans have been replaced with poorly hand-made panels. You can also see a patched area at the back of the car that was welded, but never ground smooth. judging from the rust pattern on it and the rest of the trunk floor I'd venture a guess that the whole undercarriage had been repainted in the past.
Not a huge deal in my book, but the choice to remove the radio from the console and leave the speaker grill is just weird.

HEALEYJAG

Jedi Warrior
Unmolested "survivor" huh?

WOW...

I'd look for another.....dealers aren't my thing.

Pete

OP
K

Kabuki

Freshman Member
GregW said:
Hi Alex,
I looked at the photos Chequered Flag posted on their ad and I think "unmolested" is just plain false. HERE is the link for everyone else. Both floor pans have been replaced with poorly hand-made panels. You can also see a patched area at the back of the car that was welded, but never ground smooth. judging from the rust pattern on it and the rest of the trunk floor I'd venture a guess that the whole undercarriage had been repainted in the past.
Not a huge deal in my book, but the choice to remove the radio from the console and leave the speaker grill is just weird.

Hi Greg,
thanks for looking over the add. I was also concerned how the undercarriage looks on the last photo. Just too clean and fresh. Generally came the A-H 3000 always without undercoating ?
In regards to the radio, I think the car was ordered without an Radio, so there is no hole. But the cars came always with the speaker grill. It doesnt matter if the 1st owner ordered the radio option or not. This is what I know from other british cars from the 50s and 60s at least. I dont know if A-H made it in the same way.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Kabuki said:
Generally came the A-H 3000 always without undercoating ?
I think so, at least for the US market. I know some European cars had some different specs. What they were I don't know.

Kabuki said:
In regards to the radio, I think the car was ordered without an Radio, so there is no hole. But the cars came always with the speaker grill. It doesnt matter if the 1st owner ordered the radio option or not. This is what I know from other british cars from the 50s and 60s at least. I dont know if A-H made it in the same way.
I believe there was an upholstered plug with the 3000 lightning bolt that fit in the radio hole from the factory.

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Kabuki said:
GregW said:
Hi Alex,

Hi Greg,
thanks for looking over the add. I was also concerned how the undercarriage looks on the last photo. Just too clean and fresh. Generally came the A-H 3000 always without undercoating ?
I recommend that you check with Steve Byers of the BJ8 Registry to see what he can tell you about this car.

Country flag
I think the whole boot pan may have been replaced. Did my (definitely 'unmolested') BJ8's last year and there are two panels inboard of the little support 'spurs' on the very rear of the chassis that overlap with the pan. Don't see them on this car.

OTOH, that appears to be an Ansa exhaust. Very high quality and good-fitting system--with minimal 'scrapage'--but with a slightly higher pitch than stock. I replaced my Ansa's muffler and resonator with glasspacks but reused the pipes because they were such high quality and still in good shape after many thousands of miles.

AHBN1

Country flag
I saw this add the other day and sent the seller a note suggesting that this car has been through an older restoration (probably in the '80's). The seller responded that he agreed. Interior looks like it has been replaced as well.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
yEP IT HAS BEEN TODDIED UP SEND IT BACK TO OHIO
---I was also concerned how the undercarriage looks on the last photo. Just too clean and fresh- yeah with all the dings and rust in the front cross member---KEOKE :laugh: