• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

1st Motion Shaft Play

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Currently rebuilding the BJ8 transmission. Mechanic installed a new 1st motion shaft bearing and Mainshaft bearing.
All the parts are in the tranny and OD and Clutch Housing were installed. When he tighten the Housing bolts, the input shaft would not spin. (Found out later the problem was the Laygear was not spinning. That's another topic)

He thought the 1st motion shaft washer that was bent over the nut was coming in contact with the Clutch Housing. I watched him hit the washer with a hammer many times trying to bend it back so it would be flush with the front of the nut. I asked if that was putting a load on the bearing and possibly damaging it. I said the washer was bent over when the shaft was in a vise before installing it in the tranny case. But now you're banging on it when it's in the case. He said, don't worry about it, it's fine. (I'm not using this mechanic anymore because he damages stuff).

I now have the tranny in my garage. The Mainshaft spins freely and there's no side to side play. The 1st motion shaft spins freely but it has side to side play outside the case and I see movement/play inside the case with the 1st motion shaft gear.

Is that normal or should there be no play at all?

In my searching for this, I saw a Youtube video where a man shows his Healey 1st motion shaft doing exactly what mine is doing and he questions if it's ok. No one commented with a reply.
I can't seem to find that video, or I'd post it here. Anyone seen it and provide that link here on my post?

Last edited:

BobHaskell

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Suggest you contact Leo Ruof in Columbus Ohio. He's been rebuilding Austin-Healey gearboxes and overdrives for years.

Jack T

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Currently rebuilding the BJ8 transmission. Mechanic installed a new 1st motion shaft bearing and Mainshaft bearing.
All the parts are in the tranny and OD and Clutch Housing were installed. When he tighten the Housing bolts, the input shaft would not spin. (Found out later the problem was the Laygear was not spinning. That's another topic)

He thought the 1st motion shaft washer that was bent over the nut was coming in contact with the Clutch Housing. I watched him hit the washer with a hammer many times trying to bend it back so it would be flush with the front of the nut. I asked if that was putting a load on the bearing and possibly damaging it. I said the washer was bent over when the shaft was in a vise before installing it in the tranny case. But now you're banging on it when it's in the case. He said, don't worry about it, it's fine. (I'm not using this mechanic anymore because he damages stuff).

I now have the tranny in my garage. The Mainshaft spins freely and there's no side to side play. The 1st motion shaft spins freely but it has side to side play outside the case and I see movement/play inside the case with the 1st motion shaft gear.

Is that normal or should there be no play at all?

In my searching for this, I saw a Youtube video where a man shows his Healey 1st motion shaft doing exactly what mine is doing and he questions if it's ok. No one commented with a reply.
I can't seem to find that video, or I'd post it here. Anyone seen it and provide that link here on my post?
I'm not an expert on this, but keep in mind that the end of the first motion/input shaft is secured in the pilot bushing in the flywheel. That is a very tight tolerance, as is that at the needle bearings at the input/mainshaft. When it's all assembled I doubt you're going to see much play in the front input shaft bearing.

kozelding

Country flag
The first time I had my transmission out, I too worried about the amount of play in that shaft — I forget the exact measurement, but if felt like a lot.

Searching around, though, everybody seemed to agree with what Jack T wrote ^^^ — a lot of play is acceptable, if not normal, since the pilot bushing in the flywheel holds the other end of the shaft securely. (And, so far, knock on wood, I've had no noises or issues 10k+ miles later.)