• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB 1978 MGB clutch is out..!

Bendure

Freshman Member
Country flag
Yes full and very clean. Nothing even gurgles or moves around peddle in/out line cracked or closed. Looks like a little tougher to r&r the master cylinder vs the slave. 🤔

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Well, as I posted back in #2, replacing M/C, slave and flex line at one go will eliminate any issues. And as Grantura mentions later, keep the old ones and have them re-sleeved if you intend to keep the car.

All a pain in the butt, but a guarantee the issue is resolved.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
And be aware of the clevis pins, too. Here are some "Wall-of-Shame" examples of what NOT to put back in place. The far right one is extreme, but it happened:
1895sm.JPG

bobhustead

Gold
Country flag
When you put it back, do yourself a favor and bench bleed the new master. Just cover the outlet with a finger and work the piston until fluid squirts out. And when doing the replacement be sure to water wash all fluid spills off the paint immediately.
Bob

Bendure

Freshman Member
Country flag
New master cylinder is back in. Also replaced the flex line - but have a leak trying to connect the flex line to the hard line. Very difficult to see or find a good fitting tool to back off or tighten the tube nut (20 below ) or the lock nut below it (21). Probably lots of air in the system now. The good news I could see a bit of movement in the slave piston. Down this rabbit hole again! After looking at the hard line - looks like it may not be too tough running a new one from master to slave.

1666020013745.png

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Save some grief and get a couple line wrenches. SAE, 7/16" amd 1/2". A well stocked NAPA store will have individual ones. Likely better quality than these but if you intend to keep the MG it will come in handy. Likely you need not replace the steel line.

EDIT: The flex line may be 5/8" at the fittings, I don't recall.

Last edited:

Bendure

Freshman Member
Country flag
Save some grief and get a couple line wrenches. SAE, 7/16" amd 1/2". A well stocked NAPA store will have individual ones. Likely better quality than these but if you intend to keep the MG it will come in handy. Likely you need not replace the steel line.

EDIT: The flex line may be 5/8" at the fittings, I don't recall.

Bendure

Freshman Member
Country flag
Thanks Doc! Any idea what the lock nut is below the tube nut? Things broke loose after tons of blaster. But I could feel the line and mechanism turn a bit above the flex hose while trying to break everything loose with a vice grip. Ugh!!!

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Thanks Doc! Any idea what the lock nut is below the tube nut? Things broke loose after tons of blaster. But I could feel the line and mechanism turn a bit above the flex hose while trying to break everything loose with a vice grip. Ugh!!!
If it is what I think it is, it is to hold it on the bracket

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Well, the way it was designed to work is the bracket on the frame holds the end of the flex line via that nut from the "top side" so you can tighten the steel line's ferrule to it. If the bracket and/or the line fitting have been rounded and buggered, Vice Grips to remove and replacement ferrule may be the only option.

Bendure

Freshman Member
Country flag
Hello All,

Looking for any new help with my 77 MGB clutch problem. Replaced both master and slave and flex hose. It appears most air has been bled out successfully. The slave piston only travels maybe a 1/4". Just watched a video from moss on evacuating air out of the slave. Will try that next

Questions - What is the actual travel distance for the clutch piston?

Thanks!

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Follow up: lots of air came out trying this method like the whole system is full of air. 😕
has it worked? The reason I ask is that it took me almost an entire summer to sort my clutch a few years ago - NOTE it is a different line!!! - But what I finally realized is that my new clutch line wasn't seating properly hence the ongoing air issues. It wasn't seating properly because it was made of chinesium. I finally found a hose (again the Midget line is a plastic) and reused the original ends - finally fixed it. I find that there continue to be massive issues with a lot of the new parts being speced to the lowest bidder.

Bendure

Freshman Member
Country flag
No luck yet. Using the original hard line and fittings all seem tight. Replaces the flex line, the mc and sc. admittedly knock off parts. This time I followed the gentleman’s advise:

Cannot seem to remove all the air and never get a complete clean stream.

Bendure

Freshman Member
Country flag
Good news bled like back in the day; open, pedal down, close, pedal up…repeat. Just had to top off the master cylinder about every 1 or 2 bleeds, it holds soooo little fluid.

Thanks for the help!!!

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Good news bled like back in the day; open, pedal down, close, pedal up…repeat. Just had to top off the master cylinder about every 1 or 2 bleeds, it holds soooo little fluid.

Thanks for the help!!!
love it when a plan (finally) comes together