• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

1978 MG Midget 1500 Original Paint Color Options

Midget78

Jedi Trainee
Hello to all my fellow Mg buddies out there. Well, Im waiting on getting my 78 MG Midget 1500 back from the shop after having to put her in there so the new Weber DGV carb can get tuned in properly. She was running very rich and clearly needed some different jets, emulsion tubes, air tubes to get her running properly. Its tough sometimes handing them over to someone else to have the fun of working on them. This guy I found was a well known recommended MG mechanic so it made the desision a bit easier. Anyway and on to my question, this car has the original paint on it and spent quite a few years in the Texas sun. Now she is back home in northern Ohio in the salty, snowy roads. The paint is chipped and severly weathered needing redone. My plan is to strip it all down and get it primered. The question I have is where to find the original colors for this year of Mg as I would like to possibly change the color but stay within the world of MG paint schemes. Any help on point me in the right direction is appreciated.

bob67bgt

Jedi Knight
Changing colors is not a easy process. It always looks crappy when someone changes the color and sprays the engine bay black. If you are going to change colors be prepared to do it correct. Its like putting on a new suit and not changing your shorts if the jambs,trunk, and engine bay are not up to the rest of the job. I hope it all works out to your satisfaction. Bob

OP
M

Midget78

Jedi Trainee
Thanks for the web page with the paint schemes. Currently it is a dark red almost wine color but the sun has really done a number on it so its hard to tell what the original color actually was. I agree with the guy that commented about doing it right and getting in the engine compartment and places like that. Maybe I will just stick to the color I think its closest to and finish the outside only. I just know I need to do something cause its a great little car and the body is solid, its just with the paint faded, chipped, with lite surface rust at spots it looks like a real hunk of junk. Plus these northern Ohio winters dont do any justice to a car with the road salt. Thanks for the feedback.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
inside of the trunk would tell you also

Jer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
You drive your midget in Ohio winters ? OUCH !! the best thing you could do is put her away in the garage every fall before 1st snow until spring after the roads are clear of sand & salt... :smile: If you have to drive her in the winter, please get a proper undercoating done (oil spray / dripless undercoating) - As you mention winter driving will make that dry Texas steel disengrate in no time at all... seen it happen on many clean sound cars that came from the southern states to where I am in northern ontario, they will rust at an alarming rate seeing that the sheetmetal has never been exposed to such extreme conditons!

OP
M

Midget78

Jedi Trainee
Jer, I only drive it in the winter when it turns into one of those rare spring days or serious emergency. I always take it and spray it off when it does go out on the road knowing the salt will destroy this car. Has anyone used that oil coating stuff they sell in the british car parts catalog. I forget the name of it but its like furniture polish with an oil base and is applied like wax. I got a catalog in the mail the other day that had it advertised but never heard of it before. I'll have to check and see the name of it.

waxoyl (sp)?

place up the road from me just hung out a sign advertising the stuff. if it is anything like the tar the factory used underneath these cars it has to be good.

mark

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I recall from the Automobile Protection Agency ( https://www.apa.ca/template.asp?lang=english ) who publish a book called LemonAid recommended Krown as the only rust company worth going to. we had my wife's car done - will get mine done next month and I expect to take Ms Triss there even though she will never be winter driven - just some more insurance for not too much money

tweety

Jedi Trainee
Re: 1978 MG Midget 1500 Original Paint Color Optio

I would not worry too much about black trim/engine compartment on a '78. If it's ever a true classic, then you can make the paint match.

I think a mismatched but close color (original color inside doors, under hood, but close match outside) looks worse than the black under hood etc.

OP
M

Midget78

Jedi Trainee
Re: 1978 MG Midget 1500 Original Paint Color Optio

Hey guys. Actually I probably shouldnt asume its only guys into this stuff. Anyway, "Waxoyl" is the stuff as Silent Unicorn said. It looks like applying it would be done using a wax pad or rag but I could see that as being very difficult without a spray system for good coverage. But I dont know how thick the liquid is for application? Im thinking about giving it a shot as the cost wasnt to bad. Any extra protection under the car can only make things better. Specially in this northern Ohio climate where old man winter has no mercy on any car.